9 Super Foods to Help You Look Your Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

All girls want to have glowing skin, shiny hair and healthy nails. In fact, we spend $100 or more on products and services each year to look our best. While a great shampoo might keep your hair smelling and looking good, it’s important to remember what you eat effects the health and appearance of your body inside and out. A great product or service can do wonders, but a consistently healthy diet will keep you looking good in a cheap, easy and natural way.

SKIN

Kiwi: According to the Ladies Health Journal, this tangy, green fruit is great for supple skin. Kiwi is packed with more vitamin C than almost any other fruit and this helps maintain the collagen in our skin, keeping it nice and firm.

Blueberries: Containing the most antioxidant properties per serving than any other commonly consumed fruit, blueberries fight free radicals caused by pollution and UV radiation, which will help prevent premature aging.

Green Tea: This treat, hot or cold, not only hydrates your body (an essential habit for healthy skin), but the acne-fighting antioxidants will help ward off those pesky blemishes.

HAIR

Spinach: Nutrient-rich, leafy greens like spinach are high in iron, beta-carotene, folic acid and vitamin C, which promote scalp oil circulation and help keep hair follicles healthy, according to the experts at WebMD.

Sweet Potatoes: According to fitnessmagazine.com, this super food is a great source of the antioxidant beta-carotene, which is turned into vitamin A by our bodies and serves as an essential nutrient for healthy hair. Sweet potatoes can also aid in the production of healthy scalp oils.

Salmon: Try it baked, smoked or grilled. No matter what, salmon is rich in protein, minerals and B vitamins, including B12, which is great for keeping hair strong and shiny.

NAILS

Brown Rice: Eating foods rich in natural biotin like brown rice will help aid in nail growth. Biotin, also called vitamin H, boosts the production of the protein that aids in healthy nail growth and could promote thicker, stronger nails.

Flaxseeds: A simple way to add essential fatty acids to your diet is with flaxseeds. By sprinkling ground flaxseed into oatmeal or cereal, you could increase your intake of fatty acids that nourish dry brittle nails and work to keep them from cracking or splitting.

Eggs: High-quality protein rich foods like eggs will give nails strength to stay long and beautiful. Livestrong.com suggests eggs for healthy nails along with other protein packed foods including organic peanut butter, chicken breasts, fish, cottage cheese, beans, nuts and seeds.

The best-kept secret to healthy hair, skin, and nails is a healthy diet. By adding these nutrient-rich foods to your diet, you may find yourself spending less time at the salon and more time feeling great about the way you look.