5 Stylish Ways to Wear a Sweater

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Nothing says “comfortable but stylish” this season like an oversized sweater. While oversized sweaters may sound like a fashion don’t, I highly suggest you do! Oversized sweaters are extremely versatile, and can be worn on a plethora of occasions. With a little bit of accessorizing, and the perfect patterns, you will be racking up the compliments this season. Read on to find out how you can simply turn this drab look into something fabulous!

With Patterned Leggings/Tights

Leggings and tights are the perfect way to show off your true personality AND your amazing legs! Pick patterns that define your character, and don’t be afraid to try new ones to keep your look fresh! Some of my personal favorites are tribal print leggings, and flower patterned black tights, but there are so many cute patterns at shops like Forever21. Also, make sure you stick to more neutral sweaters, such as, solid colors with a cable knit look, to avoid clashing with the patterns. If you can’t find a pair of leggings you like, go with black leggings and a cute patterned sweater instead! Match this look with cute ballet flats for a feminine touch, with brown riding boots for the classic look, or with this season’s shoe icon, the combat boot, to define your style with some edge.

With a Skirt

Bring vintage back by creating a boho chic look. Wear your sweater with a patterned, flouncy mini skirt with tights, or with a patterned or pleated maxi skirt. To add even more of a boho effect, slouch your sweater off one shoulder, and don’t forget to add a long necklace. This look is super cute, and you can wear it on most occasions. For a dressier look, wear the sweater with a micro mini skirt for a look that’s great for a night out in town! Pair it with heels, tights, and a matching purse to complete the feminine ensemble!

With a Collar

Add a touch of class to your oversized sweater by channeling your inner Blair Waldorf. Layer your sweater on top of a collared shirt to get a preppy, sophisticated look. Look for collars with cute designs (flannels!), beads, or studs to give it more character. Match it with colored pants for a casual look, or a neutral flirty or pleated skirt and tights for a dressier occasion. Accessorize this look with sparkly stud earrings and simple heels! Check out designers like J. Crew for the perfect collared shirts to turn that baggy sweater into a look Blair Waldorf would approve of!  

With Leather

Feeling edgy? Party like a rock star this weekend by pairing your sweater with leather pieces. Celebrity fashion icons like Selena Gomez and Rihanna have been making statements with oversized sweaters paired with leather leggings and mini skirts. Go with brighter colored cable knit sweaters like reds and patterned whites to keep the outfit from being too dark. Wear bright colored lipstick and accessorize to the max. Combat boots are a great addition to this fierce attire. 

Dressed Up

Dress your oversized sweater up by literally wearing it as a dress! Caution: Make sure the sweater is actually long enough to be worn as a dress. In order to contain the frump of the sweater, belt it up around your waist to reinstate some shape to your body. Aim for thicker belts in matching colors to keep the outfit looking put together. If your sweater is plain, go with a belt (and matching necklace if possible!) that has a little more pizazz to it to keep it from looking dull. Wear it with a pair of pumps or wedge booties to keep it dressy, and add a cute pair of tights to keep it professional.