16 Things Only Seniors Will Remember

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Wait a second, we’re graduating? The senior scaries are slowly starting to sink in as we start to finish the end of the semester projects, papers and tests.

We can no longer run away from the fact that May 21, 2016 is becoming a reality and we will soon not be able to call the Elon bubble our home away from home.

The comfort of Elon University has resided in all of us. Whether you attended college coffee every Tuesday or lit up with excitement when you spotted the ever- famous President Leo Lambert on campus, you will remember these moments forever.

The way we imagine and picture Elon is something special to hang on to because this campus is changing every day, just look at that large pile of dirt next to the Communications school.

Take a break from all of that studying and remember why you chose the perfectly cut green grass, breathtaking fountains and buildings as your humble abode for four (somewhat short) years.

Photo accessed from: https://instagram.com/p/3B1j9MPJdq/?taken-by=elonuniversity

1. The “original” West End

Remember when West End was the place to go on weekday nights? Although the line was pretty brutal on cold nights, the bar was always packed with a wide range of different people at Elon and that was pretty awesome. West End is no longer a bar that offers evening entertainment but those memories will stuck with all of us forever. Sneaking a beer in your back pocket felt easy and the free pizza lying on the bar tables tasted delicious.

2. Tuesday Karaoke

Tuesday Karaoke needed it’s own spot on this list. Why? Because Tuesday night Karaoke nights were some of the best nights that we had as freshman and sophomores at Elon University. Watching people you barely knew embarrass themselves while singing Kelly Clarkson was a memory that was hard to get out of your head. Fighting for the mic with strangers felt normal and when you finally got your chance to shine, nobody listened to you.

3. Town Table

Town Table was one of the three restaurants in walking distance that we trusted, not to mention their fries were unreal. It is hard to take a second and remember exactly what Town Table looked like but the restaurant was a great spot for lunch and dinner with your dorm friends.

4. On-Campus pregames

On-Campus pregames were low key some of the most fun pregames we have had at Elon. These pregames were a blast. The on-campus fraternity houses would fill up with freshman and upperclassman. For a second, Elon’s on-campus Greek life houses seemed cool and those awesome pregames unfortunately cannot happen anymore.

5. Upstairs Late Night McEwen

Ever since Late Night McEwen has changed from the second floor to the first floor of the McEwen building, things have just never been the same. The tator tots just aren’t as crispy and the environment just doesn’t sit with us right. Upstairs Late Night McEwen was not only a great place to get a super late night snack, but it was also a place to see everyone.

6. Octagon

Octagon was straight fire. We all loved walking into Moseley and realizing that we could pick from a variety of different foods and use our meal dollars. The pizza was amazing and the salads helped us feel like we were making a healthy decision that day. RIP Octagon, forever in our hearts.

7. Tap House

Although Tap House can still be rented out for registered functions, there was nothing better than Tap House bar nights. Texting your friends who were just around the corner at West End was easy and the bar felt like a huge nightclub because of its size. Thursdays were one of Tap House’s most popular nights and the stage inside made anyone feel like they were performing at Madison Square Garden.

8. Moseley Parking Lot

Parking is slowly becoming dormant on this campus and it is sad to remember how awesome the Moseley parking lot once was. If you wanted to run inside for a package and find a spot, you could. If you wanted to sneakily park and get a Collonnades salad, you could. Unfortunately, the benefits of Moseley parking lot are no longer due to the new admissions building. Although we must say that building looks pretty breathtaking around sunset.

Photo accessed from: https://instagram.com/p/8g3GorPU6a/?taken-by=hercampuselon

9. The Danieley Gym

OK- we don’t actually miss it, but we definitely remember it. The Danieley gym was quite frightening and not very efficient, but if you needed a quick work out and didn’t feel like walking to the gym then the Danieley gym was your spot. Now you can go and enjoy a burrito or taco, both things that seem much more appealing than a work out.

10.F’real Milkshakes

These shakes tasted awesome. There was something exhilarating about picking out the flavor of milkshake you wanted because there were so many flavors to choose from. You could find these machines in downstairs Collonnades or Moseley. Now, these F’real Milkshakes have been replaced with the healthy version of a shake – bummer. 

11. Loyo

Loyo was definitely not the best frozen yogurt place in Burlington, but it was easy to walk to and it satisfied the sweet tooth when we were in dire need. Not to mention, it was great for a quick girl date (S/O to all of the sorority girls). Loyo was located where Tangent is now and we aren’t complaining about that.

12. A Meal Plan

A meal plan was absolutely vital to have freshman and sophomore year at Elon University. Nothing was better than heading up to upstairs Collonnades and stuffing your face with everything in sight and then heading into your dorm room in agony because you were so full. Now, we sometimes finding ourselves using our credit cards on campus, which seems like a total sin.

13. Historic area

The Historic buildings on campus used to be the best places to live at Elon. Girls and boys would pray that they got a dorm room in either Smith or Carolina. With all of the new places to live in campus that include washer and dryers, full closets and personal bathrooms it is hard to remember why we loved those old buildings so much.

Photo accessed from: https://instagram.com/p/9tm9unPJeY/?taken-by=elonuniversity

14. Pangeos

Did you ever feel like you were in Italy for 10 seconds when you were consuming Pangeos? Yeah, we didn’t either, but Pangeos pizza tasted like heaven when we ate it and we could use our Phoenix cards to pay for it. Many students were bummed when we had to say bye to our favorite pizza on campus.  

15. Mailroom slips

Holy throwback. Remember when you would receive a slip in your mailbox that would let you know when your package had arrived? Now you just have to wait a “short” 20 minutes to receive your packages. The mailroom has turned into a battle of the Hunger Games and we’re simply not happy about it.

16. Health Center in Loy

We saved the best for last. Remember when the Health Center was actually on campus and convenient? You didn’t have to walk, what feels like, thousands of miles to make sure you’re health is still in top-notch condition (was it ever?). Although, you did have to wait around 2 hours to finally see a doctor or nurse.

Donate to our class

We will love and remember these places and memories forever. That is why it is really important to remember that giving back to your class is really special.

The experiences we have had at Elon should make us want to give back to a department, organization or program that has made a positive impact on our academic and social lives here. A little goes a long way.A thoughtful gift to a university that has brought us so much happiness should feel like a breeze.  Donate to the Senior Class Giving campaign in the amount of $20.16 or any other sized donation at www.elon.edu/makeagift

Photo accessed from: https://instagram.com/p/3CQeJYPJbH/?taken-by=elonuniversity

My name is Tatum Pederson and I am a senior at Elon University majoring in Journalism and minoring in Digital Art. I am currently Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Elon and I am an Entertainment Editor for Elon University’s magazine, The Edge. This summer, I was an Entertainment Intern at Niche Media in New York City. I learned how to transcribe interviews, assist at photo shoots, and conduct research on various entertainment topics. Last year, I was an Art and Editorial Intern at ELLE Decor magazine. At this internship, I worked closely with the Editor-in-Chief, Michael Boodro. I edited a “Behind The Scenes” video for the September 2014 Online Shopping section and was also published in the October 2014 issue. Two summers ago, I was an Entertainment Intern for Pink and Black magazine. I researched and wrote numerous articles involving media and entertainment. I am an extremely organized and creative student with experience in both a fast-paced environment and the magazine industry.