Women’s Charities You Need to Support ASAP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

Sunday, November 25th is the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women. If you have some extra cash to spare, some free time to help others, or need to get in some volunteering hours, here are some charities that cater to women.

Girls Not Brides

Dedicated to ending childhood marriage, this foundation works all around the world to bring peace to oppressed girls. You can donate or get involved in a number of ways, because they’re always running multiple campaigns at once, including radio programs, training in villages, agricultural events, political rallies, and more.

Days for Girls

Often times, women who are financially unstable cannot afford feminine products during their monthly periods, and they have to spend a week struggling to stay clean and avoid infection, something no woman should have to worry about. Days for Girls donates kits filled with products for women in need. They have groups in America, or you can help by donating from a distance.

Every Mother Counts

In some countries, women who are pregnant are not able to see doctors, and are using inadequate supplies for delivery. This foundation helps train nurses, donate medical supplies to hospitals, and help women in labor find transportation. Too often, women in poor health conditions, without enough food, or who do not have access to doctors, lose their babies to malnutrition, injury, or other reasons. Modern technology and community wants to put a stop to this.

Girls Who Code

Technology and engineering is one of the most male-dominated fields, and women are ready to put a stop to it. Girls Who Code sponsors learning programs for female students to learn engineering that isn’t offered in their schools, as a chance for those interested to enter the field. They plan to raise the next generation of female engineers to close the gender gap, and you can get involved in a multitude of ways.

Women for Women

Women around the world who are affected by war, famine, poverty, and sexism, need help to be saved. This charity has organized a comprehensive program in Africa and Europe in multiple countries. They help give access to technology, jobs after school, and put an end to sexism by educating husbands and families.

The Malala Fund

If you don’t know who Malala is by now, you’re missing out on one of the biggest feminist stories of our time. Since her story went viral, Malala has since recruited a number of women and groups to stand with her cause in educating girls in undeveloped nations. She works to get every girl on the planet 12 years of education, as well as donate supplies and house refugees. Donating is not the only way to get involved in this great cause.

She Should Run

We can all agree it’s about time for a female president, but who’s going to make sure that it happens? These people. Dedicated to helping promote women running in office, this foundation helps women who are capable of holding office in American politics feel motivated and overcome obstacles. How could you not want to support them?

National Partnership

There are laws that exist against sexism and sexual harassment in the workplace, but not all companies and employers tend to follow them, so this organization exists to make sure they do. Any women who faces a threat in the workplace, has their human rights disrespected or health care taken away can rely on the members of National Partnership to help protect them and their families.

Womankind

Dedicated to ending violence against women, help women control economic rights, and help women establish political power, Womankind is based in multiple countries across three continents. They sponsor campaigns that cover a number of topics, and offer various resources for educating others. What they are trying to accomplish will truly change the world.

Wings Worldquest

We’ve already covered how engineering is a male-dominated field, well most science-centered careers are led by men, but this organization is ready for more. They sponsor women who discover, invent, and go above and beyond in science. Giving out grants, celebrating accomplishments at ceremonies, and educating others through programs, help establish a big victory for female scientists.

I don’t care how busy you are, how broke you are, or any other excuses you have. You can manage a few seconds or a few dollars for one of these charities for the sake of women’s health, capabilities, and empowerment. When women support each other, impeccable things can happen. “Feminism isn’t about making women stronger. Women are already strong. It’s about changing the way the world perceives that strength”. -G.D. Anderson.

Jennifer Davenport

Elizabethtown '21

Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus club at Elizabethtown College. Jennifer is part of the Class of 2021, and she's a middle level English education major, with a creative writing minor. Her hobbies include volunteering, watching YouTube for way too many hours, and posting memes on her Instagram. She was raised in New Jersey, lives in New York, and goes to college in Pennsylvania, so she's ruined 3 of America's 50 states. She's an advocate for mental health, LGBT+ rights, and educational reform.
Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.