Why You Should Live in a Living Learning Community on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

The survey for spring semester dorm preferences just opened, so anyone who’s unhappy with their living space has to consider if they want to move and, if so, where to? Whether it’s a roommate problem, location of the dorm building, noise complaints or you just don’t get along with anyone who lives on the floor, the college is aware that these things, amongst others, can be problems that college students face when having to live in dorm rooms. For anyone looking for a new place to stay but can’t decide where to move, consider a Living Learning Community.

The Living Learning Communities (LLC) on campus are offered so those living together can share common interests. But there’s more than that. The LLC design is for students that live together to specifically know and hang out together. So here’s a list of some points for why you should live in one, followed by a summary of why I do.

The themes are interesting

The LLC’s currently have themes for engineering, business, honors and LGBT+, but the college is looking into adding more. The themes don’t have to coincide with your major or community, but your interests in society and the world. There’s no stress on not fitting in with the subject you feel close enough to.

Everyone knows each other

There’s a huge sense of community in an LLC. You know everyone’s name, where they live, their hobbies and interests and where they like to hang out. Making friends on the floor is unbelievably easy, and if you have a problem with someone, there’s always an LLC group chat to talk about those issues.

Floor meetings are so helpful

The RA gathers everyone on the floor in a lounge and you all sit and share things about yourselves, like your name, major and any rules you would like the floor to follow. It’s a really easy way to see those people who never leave their rooms, are never in their room or you just never see.

Everyone does activities together

Like I said before, everyone in an LLC, and even some students who lived there in past years, usually have a group chat. This chat helps you know when everyone’s stopping at the Marketplace, so you can eat together. Or if someone’s driving to Giant, they’ll send a message to see if anyone wants to join. The group chat is super helpful with being involved with the people you live with.

It will enhance your college experience

Living in dorm rooms is an experience on its own: sharing bathrooms, broken air conditioners, sleeping in a room with a stranger, all that jazz. I recommend living in an LLC, so you can enhance the friendships, community and experience you have living on campus.

Why I Live in Stonewall, the LGBT+ Living Learning Community

Stonewall Hall is located in Founders Hall. Stonewall hasn’t been around for that long, so there’s only 22 of us, but the first year it was organized there were less than five, so we’re very proud of the 22 we have. On our floor, we have three cats, a lizard and a whole bunch of friends. We eat all meals together, go shopping together, sit in the living room and study for hours together and when we’re stressed we all gather in the RA’s room and rant together, watching movies in bed. Stonewall is a gender-inclusive floor, open to all members and allies of the LGBT+ community. We welcome allies as much as we welcome anyone else. In every hallway is a pride flag that represents members of the community, including flags for gay, lesbian, transgender, nonbinary, bisexual, pansexual and asexual members of the community. If anyone ever has a request for another flag, our RA partners with Steph Collins from the Mosaic House, and they will get it. We have matching shirts with our last names, so we feel like a team, and we hope to spread awareness of the Stonewall Riots of 1969, and those from our community who lost their lives. If we’re not watching movies all night together, we’re doing face masks on the floor or going to college events together, and you never feel alone.

I hope anyone who has a problem with their living arrangements considers joining an LLC. If any of the themes fit with you, and you desire that sense of community with others, I highly recommend joining one. Fill out your spring semester living request to switch buildings, or journey down to Residence Life to request a change.

Jennifer Davenport

Elizabethtown '21

Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus club at Elizabethtown College. Jennifer is part of the Class of 2021, and she's a middle level English education major, with a creative writing minor. Her hobbies include volunteering, watching YouTube for way too many hours, and posting memes on her Instagram. She was raised in New Jersey, lives in New York, and goes to college in Pennsylvania, so she's ruined 3 of America's 50 states. She's an advocate for mental health, LGBT+ rights, and educational reform.