emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Stop Stressing About Gifts: A Simple Gift Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

The holiday season can be stressful enough as is, but there’s also often a lot of pressure to get the loved ones in your life the “perfect gift”. Now, many people don’t actually care about the gift and are truly just happy that you thought of them, but the pressure can be stressful anyway. I personally love buying gifts for others and giving them out; it always nice to make someone’s day with a thoughtful present. I know buying the gift itself can be really difficult, though, so here’s some suggestions for purchasing gifts this year!

Something Personalized

An etched glass, a necklace, a framed image, and keychains are just a few of the things that you can get that can be personalized for your loved one. One of the best places to go for such personalized gifts is Etsy; they have so many cool personalized gifts that are easy to order and within good price ranges. Be aware with personalized gifts, though, because they take longer to be delivered than other items, since they have to be made as well as shipped.

Something Practical

I know that some people don’t always think of more “practical” gifts, but they’re always a winner. For example, if you have a friend that’s always complaining about their room being super cold, buy them some fuzzy socks and a blanket (because let’s be real, everyone loves fuzzy socks and blankets). If your mom is always complaining about not having enough dishes, buy her some new ones. These kinds of gifts also always show how good of a listener you are, which people always appreciate.

A Book

I feel like people always forget about books as gifts, but they always make great presents! There’s so many different types of books out there, there’s no way that you can’t find something for everyone. Try checking out your local bookstore and just browsing; sometimes you don’t even know that a certain book exists, and it could be the perfect present for someone on your list!

Something Homemade

This is one of the obvious ones that I think many people often overlook because they are afraid that it won’t be appreciated, but homemade gifts can be some of the greatest gifts to receive because they show effort and dedication. Paint a canvas, sculpt a vase, draw a picture, take a beautiful photo, or do anything that you’re good at, and I’m sure anyone would love it.

An Experience for Both of You

Sometimes these can end up on the pricier side, but they are always some of my favorite gifts to give because it give you and your loved one another way to enjoy some time together and will give you memories that will last much longer than any material gift. Concerts, theater, and sporting events are some of the more obvious ones, but you could also just gift someone a homemade coupon for something like a movie night or a dinner out.

Remember: gifts are not the most important part of the holiday season. They are just one of many ways to show love to friends and family as you celebrate together. Don’t pressure yourself too much over it; just try to make it fun and everyone will appreciate you no matter what.

Allison Hauser

Elizabethtown '19

Allison is a senior communications major with a film studies minor at Elizabethtown College.
Jennifer Davenport

Elizabethtown '21

Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus club at Elizabethtown College. Jennifer is part of the Class of 2021, and she's a middle level English education major, with a creative writing minor. Her hobbies include volunteering, watching YouTube for way too many hours, and posting memes on her Instagram. She was raised in New Jersey, lives in New York, and goes to college in Pennsylvania, so she's ruined 3 of America's 50 states. She's an advocate for mental health, LGBT+ rights, and educational reform.