This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

Fall is always a great time for new movies to premiere, so in honor of the start of the new season, I wanted to look ahead to some of the incredible-looking movies that will be coming out this fall!

“A Star is Born” October 5

This fall has quite a few movie remakes scheduled, but the new remake of “A Star is Born” starring Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper is probably the most highly anticipated. Cooper, who also makes his directorial debut with “A Star is Born”, stars as Jackson Maine, who discovers Gaga’s character, Ally, a musician who hasn’t quite hit her stride, and forms a relationship with her as her career begins to grow. With an already well-known story and performances by both Cooper and Gaga that are sure to earn them more acting nominations and awards, this updated version of the classic film is sure to be a winner.

“Beautiful Boy” October 12

“Beautiful Boy” is the adaptation of the popular memoir entitled “Beautiful Boy: A Father’s Journey Through His Son’s Addiction” by David Sheff, which tells the story of a father trying to assist his son in overcoming a methamphetamine addiction, and his son Nic’s memoir, “Tweak: Growing Up on Methamphetamines”. The story itself is amazing, but there are sure to be equally amazing performances from Steve Carell, playing Sheff, and Timothée Chalamet as his son, Nic, along with supporting roles from Maura Tierney and Amy Ryan.

“Halloween” October 19

The beloved horror franchise is being rebooted this year with Jamie Lee Curtis reprising her role as Laurie Strode at the helm. “Halloween”, which is written by Danny McBride, David Gordon Green and Jeff Fradley, and directed by Green, is sure to be a different type of Michael Myers movie than we’re used to, based on the writers’ and director’s comedic backgrounds, but McBride has assured us that the Green has been able to transition well from comedy to “straight, gritty horror”.

“Suspiria” October 26

Another beloved horror classic will be making its way back to theaters this year with this remake of Dario Argento’s iconic “Suspiria” (though director, Luca Guadagnino is strong in his claim that it is not a remake but instead is inspired by the original film), about a young girl who moves to a dance school that seems to be shrouded in strange, supernatural happenings. “Suspiria” is definitely not for the faint of heart, but for those who are willing to take the plunge, note that the new film should be an unforgettable experience. With the “Call Me By Your Name” director at the helm, a starring role from the amazing Tilda Swinton and Thom Yorke of Radiohead fame trying his hand at composing (a large feat considering the original film’s score by Goblin has become as iconic as the film itself), the new “Suspiria” may just live up to its iconic inspiration.

“Bohemian Rhapsody” November 2

The long-awaited biopic on legendary Queen frontman, Freddie Mercury, is one of the most anticipated movies of the season, but it’s also surrounded by great controversy that can be hard to ignore. Mercury was originally set to be played by Sacha Baron Cohen, who quit over disputes over the portrayal of Mercury’s life; since Cohen disagreed with the decision to not show as much of Mercury’s “wild” lifestyle. In fact, once the trailer premiered, many were critical about the lack of discussion of Mercury’s sexuality and battle with AIDS. There were also multiple directors attached to the film, with Bryan Singer (a figure who is already shrouded in controversy) being credited as the movie’s director, despite being fired and replaced by Dexter Fletcher (who was originally set to direct when the project was announced). Undeterred by all of the drama surrounding the movie, fans of Mercury and Queen are excited to finally see this story on the big screen, and with Rami Malek being cast as Mercury, the lead performance is sure to be captivating.

“Widows” November 16

A heist story based off a British mini-series of the same name, “Widows” is the story of four widows who must pay off their criminal husbands’ debts. Written by Steven McQueen, who’s known for his gritty films like “12 Years a Slave”, and Gillian Flynn of “Gone Girl” fame, the movie is sure to be a dark portrayal of these women’s lives. It also features an all-star cast of immensely talented and diverse performers, including Viola Davis, Michelle Rodriguez, Cynthia Erivo, Daniel Kaluuya, Jon Bernthal, Liam Neeson, Robert Duvall, Brian Tyree Henry, and Colin Farrell, so there are bound to be multiple award-worthy performances.

Allison Hauser

Elizabethtown '19

Allison is a senior communications major with a film studies minor at Elizabethtown College.
Rebecca Easton

Elizabethtown '19

Rebecca Easton is a senior at Elizabethtown College in Pennsylvania. She is currently studying English with a concentration in professional writing, and is pursuing a double minor in communications and business administration. Her primary interests in these fields include social media marketing, web writing and creative writing. She currently works for the Elizabethtown College Center for Student Success as a writing tutor, for Admissions as a tour guide and for the Office of Marketing and Communications. In her spare time, Rebecca enjoys writing, singing, and reading.