It’s Never Too Early to Prepare for Your Future

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

Often, it is easy to think that our future careers are years away. As a rising sophomore at college, I can assure you, that is simply not the case! It’s hard to imagine that just two years ago, I was a senior in high school deciding what potential career I wanted, where I wanted to attend college, what college life would be like, who my new friends would be, and ultimately, what  I wanted my life to be like once I graduated from college. In two short years, I have learned a lot. Here’s a few tips to help you prepare for your future!

1. It’s your life, so decide who you want to be

This first step seems simple, but it really matters in the long-run. As the narrator, or perhaps “star” of your life, you should determine how you want to live it. What matters to you? My best advice is to trust your inner conscience and follow what you feel is right for you! Think about your interests and goals. Think about your past and present memories. What made you the happiest? How did you succeed? Who did you ask for guidance? With these thoughts in mind, try to discover the person you have always wanted to be, if you aren’t already are your “dream you!”

2. Develop working relationships with your professors

Always work hard in all of your classes. If you don’t feel comfortable talking to your professors, send them an email when you do not understand an assignment. Ask questions, ask for clarification, ask for help. The harder you work, and the more you demonstrate you care, your professors will be able to grasp your dedication to working hard. This extends beyond receiving a good grade, it exhibits your potential as a future employee. People have an excellent work ethic typically perform well in their jobs. Your professor’s can be a good source of contact for future employers. The better your professor’s know you, the better they can write letters of recommendations, or provide other forms of assistance. Your professors are not only there to teach you, but they can also serve as mentors! Keep in mind that professor’s were in your position once too, and most likely can help with any questions relating to college that you may have.

3. Build up your resume

Join various clubs, work opportunities, internships, and volunteer chances you can. All of these options provide you with the opportunity to develop helpful resources for future employment recommendations. If you are involved in a club, try to get a leadership position. Not only does it appear impressive, but it really hones your leadership, communication, and organization skills. It provides you with a wonderful opportunity to make connections with peers, faculty, and individuals from various levels of expertise. If you are uncomfortable trying for an officer position, then try to help as much as possible. This can be through flyers, social media promotions, or volunteering. If you have time, try and get a job. This will encourage you to be a responsible, time-management efficient college girl. Internships are another excellent way to broaden your resume and experiences. Whether or not this is a college requirement, it can really help you determine if you are in the right field. This is a wonderful opportunity to learn more about your field of interest, a work environment that might be similar to your future one, and helps you prosper on a personal level too! Finally, volunteering is an excellent way to give back to your community, meet like-minded individuals, as well as develop a sense of gratitude. You can locate volunteer options through clubs on campus, researching specific organizations, in addition to helping at your college. Find what sparks your interest and try it out!

4. Dress for success

This tip pertains to both professional and everyday life. If you are going to an interview, giving a presentation, meeting anyone that could potentially aid your future success, dress your best! Wearing professional attire says a lot about an individual. Primarily, it highlights the fact that she cares. It also shows respect for others, such as the interviewer, potential employers, or her work that she is presenting. Furthermore, it accentuates the fact that she cares about herself. She took the time to wear professional apparel, maybe did her hair and makeup in an appealing manner. By dressing for success, she looks the part. It makes her standout, especially if others are wearing casual cloths. Also, just a friendly tip, it never hurts to look nice to class. You never know who you will meet!

I hope that these tips are helpful! Wishing all of my beautiful ladies the best of luck!

Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.