Introverts, Extroverts and Ambiverts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

Introverts, extroverts and ambiverts are different personality types determined by someone’s personality when it comes to social situations. The intensity of the type, depends on each person. As general descriptions, an introvert prefers being alone rather than social, an extrovert prefers being social rather than alone and an ambivert is in the middle, and their opinion depends on the individual situation. The personalities are better described on a spectrum because not everybody will completely relate to one side, the other, or fall perfectly in the middle of them both. Even though it’s on a spectrum, most people find it easier to identify with the personality that they identify closest to. Many people describe themselves as having a ‘social battery’, and how the battery drains and gets charged depends on their social personality. 

An introvert would charge their battery while alone, and their battery drains while they are in social situations. It is also said that introverts prefer to listen and watch, rather than speak. They also prefer to think, and do not like small talk. Overall, introverts are seen as not social, and in extremes they can be seen as socially anxious because of their dislike for creating conversation and preference for staying out of the spotlight. Some introverts can lean towards being an ambivert because they can get energy from specific social situations. The people that feel like this can choose which personality they relate more often to. If they identify as an introvert, while having some ambivert moments, they would be able to see themselves as part of the middle ground between introvert and ambivert of the social personality spectrum. 

An extrovert would charge their battery while socializing in groups, and would drain their battery while being alone. Extroverts are said to be the ones to initiate conversations, and happily engage in them with anyone. They are also said to enjoy being the center of attention and meeting new people. Overall extroverts are seen as outgoing and sometimes they can be perceived as desperate to spend time with other people. In extremes, extroverts seem like they can’t do anything alone because they want to do anything they can in groups. Just like introverts, some extroverts have ambivert tendencies, because in some situations they would prefer to be alone. Those people, just like the introverts, fall on the spectrum and can decide for themselves which personality they identify as and connect most to. 

An ambivert could charge and drain their battery with either socialization, or being alone. Somedays an ambivert will need to be alone to charge their battery, but other days they will drain their battery by being alone. Ambiverts can be relatively quiet during conversations, like an introvert, but when the topic is interesting to them, or something they’re passionate about they will be very present in the conversation, like an extrovert. Ambiverts are said to not actively avoid the spotlight, but also, not try to have it. Not all ambiverts feel as if they’re set directly in the middle and lean one way or the other on the spectrum. Some people might have more introverted tendencies and some have more extroverted ones. 

The social personalities are on a spectrum because people are unique, and one specific definition will not fit everyone perfectly. The only person who will be able to figure out which personality fits you best is yourself because no one knows you better than you know yourself. You’ll probably feel drawn to a specific side of the spectrum but if not then you’ll be drawn to the ambivert section. Find your place on the spectrum because everyone has a different spot on it! 

Lauren Closs

Elizabethtown '23

Lauren Closs is an Fine Art and Spanish language major at Elizabethtown college. She participates in Wicca and practices witchcraft. She also enjoys writing about a multitude of genres.