If Your Dorm Is a Hot Mess, You Probably Are Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

Dorm life is one of the many important aspects of the college experience. While navigating through the unfamiliarity of daily life, it is easy for students to become overwhelmed with academic, extracurricular and social experiences in college. Often, dorm rooms are overlooked and left to suffer a disorganized fate. Rooms are engulfed by piles of assignments, dirty dishes from microwave delicacies and forgotten belongings of hallmates. Fortunately, there are steps you can follow to steer clear of this dark destiny.

When I arrived to my dorm room on move-in day of my first year of college, I came to realize that my dorm room was larger than my room at home. Despite this increase in space, the number of purposes this “bedroom” now needed to serve increased exponentially. Throughout the next two semesters I needed to sleep, study, cook, eat, relax, entertain and do the occasional ab workout all in this 10 ft by 14 ft room. To make things even more complicated, the room was shared with my roommate (so make that 10 ft by 7 ft).

To make dorm life as happy and healthy as possible, it is important to optimize the limited space, stay organized and discuss living habits with roommates in advance. I’ve lived in a dorm for almost two years, and having a neat room and a cooperative roommate has really helped me stay on track. In order to help both of our lives run smoothly, we developed a few healthy habits that prevented future disasters.

1. Make functional furniture choices to optimize space.

The dorm room furniture industry is constantly coming up with new ways to help students utilize space. If you do not have extra room for a freestanding shelf, consider purchasing a shelf that fits over your bed to take advantage of otherwise unused space. Learning how to maximize vertical space now will also provide you with practice for apartment living when it’s time to move out after college.

Most dorms do come furnished, but hard wooden desk chairs are not the most luxurious seating option for you or for visitors. Bringing in a large sectional couch is not an option, so seating problems must be solved creatively. Choosing foldable stools or chairs that can be tucked away when not in use, or storage ottomans that serve as seating and storage are great options for additional seating.

For even more space, consider increasing your bed height. Even if you do not wish to bunk or loft your bed, raising the bed height by a few inches allows for much more usable space. Consider stacking your microwave and fridge, hampers, or large storage bins underneath your bed.

2. Only bring the essentials.

Overpacking was probably the biggest mistake I made during college move-in. I packed clothing for all seasons, enough snacks to feed me three meals a day for a month, my entire DVD collection and other unnecessary items.

Depending on the distance from college to your home, there will be plenty of opportunities for you to retrieve forgotten items. It is likely you will be home at least a couple times throughout the semester for Labor Day weekend, fall break, Thanksgiving break or your high school homecoming. There is no need to bring your snow boots and heavy wool coat with you in August. It will take up valuable space, and it will be left untouched.

Most colleges include a checklist of items to bring and items that are not permitted. This list should also tell you what furniture will be included in the room.

3. Discuss living habits with your roommate.

Although it may sound formal or awkward to initiate, filling out a roommate agreement was one of the best decisions I could have made. A roommate agreement prompts a discussion about how potential disagreements will be solved in the future. It is an easy way to discuss important living habits like bedtimes, cleanliness, etc., which can prevent disagreements. An established agreement also provides a way to neutrally address conflict if someone does not adhere to the terms. Getting it in writing in the beginning ensures you both have a point of reference for community living and expectations up front. It is also a great way to break the ice with your roommate and get to know them a little better. Although you may have different preferences and habits, understanding both perspectives will make it easier to solve potential conflicts in the future. Adopting a regular schedule for things like laundry, vacuuming and sleeping will help you maintain your sanity throughout hectic class schedules and hours of studying.

When settling into a new dorm room, be prepared to start making smart decor and housekeeping decisions that will help you feel in control of your new life in college. Keeping an organized dorm will improve your time management, making it easier to work toward academic success while making the most of the opportunities in the college social scene.  

Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.