sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

How to Make Extra Cash: On-Campus Jobs Opportunities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

Now that you’ve started settling in and getting more acclimated to your new environment in college, you can start looking for a job! Having extra money flowing in while in college is always nice, but it can be hard to get a job that fits in between your classes and extracurriculars, which is why on-campus jobs are beneficial. You get to schedule your own shifts and it’s always easy to get a sub for a shift that you are unable to make. The shifts themselves are also often short, making it easier to still get in classes, extracurriculars, homework, and a social life. At E-town, we have a lot of on-campus jobs that you can get during your time as a student.

Dining Services

By far the most popular on-campus job, working for dining services mean you either work in the Marketplace upstairs or the Jay’s Nest or Blue Bean downstairs (or all three). There are many positions that you can work in all locations, making it easy for you to find something you like and try to do that as often as possible. Working for dining also provides a lot of opportunity for you to get hours because of the sheer number of workers that are needed at any given time during the day. Dining also offers the opportunity for employees to move up, allowing students to apply for promotions at the end of each semester. Students also have the opportunity to work for catering, which has a more irregular schedule.

Office of Student Activities (OSA)

Another popular on-campus employer at E-town is OSA. OSA has many different divisions in which student employees can work, including The Body Shop, E-Fit, Intramurals, Events and Publicity. The jobs themselves also range wildly from working the desk in The Body Shop to helping plan events on campus to leading exercise classes for other students to creating posters and other promotional materials. Regardless of what division of OSA you work for, many student workers also get the opportunity to help at various events that OSA organizes throughout the year. OSA workers also get the opportunity to work at The Hub, helping students sign up for events and answering other questions about OSA.

The Learning Zone

Students are also able to work as tutors for The Learning Zone on campus. However, tutoring is a position that you must be recommended for by a professor before you can take the position. Once you are able to work for The Learning Zone, though, you will get the chance to help fellow students study and prepare for classes while getting paid. The work schedule for tutoring is often irregular, though, meaning you will get tutoring requests whenever students make them. Therefore, it is not the steadiest income on campus.

Academic Departments

Almost all academic departments on campus have various different student employment opportunities for student majors and minors. These jobs differ based on the specific department but may include being a teaching assistant, a research assistant, or tutoring within a specific department. The benefit to working within a department where you major in the subject is that you get to build a relationship with the faculty and spend more time in the field in which you are studying.

There are many other job opportunities for students on campus, such as working in the library or for athletics. Those listed above are just the most popular and easiest to find an open position in, but it’s always smart to keep an eye open for any work opportunities that you may enjoy or find interesting because working on campus can also be great work experience.

Allison Hauser

Elizabethtown '19

Allison is a senior communications major with a film studies minor at Elizabethtown College.
Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.