How to Land Your First Full-Time Job: Part 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

I’m in the fall semester of my senior year and am starting the journey to find a full-time job. One of the things I’ve learned from this experience is just how intimidating the process can be. Self-doubt abounds. What company would ever want me? How could I do this job? What did I even learn in college? My brain feels empty!

While I can’t stop you from having those negative thoughts, I can share some practical tips and resources for finding your first job. Here they are, in no particular order.

The Internet

Most jobs are posted on the internet nowadays, and many companies even allow you to apply directly on their website. Some also allow you to apply through a third party site like LinkedIn or Indeed. Still others ask you to email them your resume.

I suggest you always check out a company’s website before even starting the application process. Get a feel for the company culture and see if this is a place you’d like to work.

A good place to start your job search, however, is a more generic job-searching site that gives listings from a countless variety of companies. Here are a few sites to get you started:

*This is the new site E-town is using to replace Jobs for Jays. Check it out!

Career Services

E-town has its own department dedicated to helping you find a job. It’s called Career Services and it offers everything from mock interviews to networking events.

Feel free to send an email to careerservices@etown.edu and explain where you are in your job (or internship) search process. Set up an appointment for a mock interview, or ask about the Wings of Success program. And be sure to keep an eye out for emails about their upcoming networking or job fair events.

Professors, Alumni, Students

I know you’ve probably heard the word “networking” so many times it gives you a headache. But it really can work. Talk to your professors, get in touch with alumni, or sit down for coffee with that classmate who just completed an internship with your dream company. Professors and students who know you well can put in a good word for you. Don’t be shy to ask for a letter of recommendation! Alumni might not know you personally, but they know your school and its reputation. They can vouch for your educational background, if nothing else.

Remember what they say – it’s not what you know, it’s who you know. There’s an element of truth to that.

Give Your Resume a Facelift

Your resume shouldn’t be the type of document you make freshman year for that one class requirement and then never touch again. It actually probably needs to be updated at least once a year, as you take on new roles and gain more experience.

Some tips I learned from an introductory graphic design class are to leave a comfortable amount of white space, and use a design that guides the eye naturally through the document. Of course it might not even be a human reading your resume. Some companies use software that scans through resumes looking for keywords, and then they only contact candidates with the right keywords.

While you don’t want to make your resume look like a keyword-stuffed amateur blog, you do want to make sure to use the right terms that will get you noticed (whether it’s a human being or machine reading it). Research your industry. Find some listings on a job site and make note of the language of the job descriptions. Some words will pop up over and over. These are probably good words to have on your resume – if they truly describe your skill set, that is. Lying is never a good idea. If you can’t put something on your resume, that’s a good indication of a skill you need to work on acquiring.

Lastly, space is of a premium on such a short document. The expected length of a resume is just one page. That being said, you need to make sure you put only the most relevant experiences on there. It’s probably not relevant to list a summer job from high school, unless it relates to your field or demonstrates abilities you want to showcase.

When in doubt, you can always ask a professor to take a look at your resume, or take it over to Career Services for a resume critique.

Well, I’m just over word count now. Stay tuned next week for Part 2 of this article to find out more ways to search for and land a job!

Corinne McCarthy

Elizabethtown '18

I'm a professional writing major and communications minor at Elizabethtown College.
Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.