Molly Peach-Girls Laughing At Night
Molly Peach-Girls Laughing At Night
Molly Peach / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

Books, movies, tv shows, social media can have a large impact on how girls view their relationships with other girls. It is so important for young girls to see fictional characters that they admire having strong bonds with other girls. Always showcasing storylines with toxic and unhealthy female interactions can perpetuate those same scenarios among real girls. Here are a few fictional female friendships that truly warm my heart. 

Anne & Diana

No matter what Anne of Green Gables adaptation it is, Anne and Diana’s friendship is one of the core relationships in the story. Anne and Diana declared their eternal friendship to each other almost immediately after Anne arrived in Avonlea. Anne proclaimed Diana to be her very best “bosom friend” and a “kindred spirit” and the rest was history. Anne and Diana had their ups and downs, but they always came back to each other. Even though Anne of Green Gables was written over one hundred years ago, all of the the adaptations of the story have made Anne and Diana’s amazing friendship accessible to a younger generation.

Maeve & Aimee

Sex Education is an incredible show for a multitude of reasons, but Maeve and Aimee’s friendship is one of my favorite aspects of the show. The two girls have such different personalities, but their dynamic is endearing and beautiful. Maeve aims to protect Aimee at all costs and Aimee supports and roots Maeve on, even when her own mother doesn’t. Episode 7 of season 2 provides a stunning look at a group of completely different girls coming together against a common enemy, giving an insight on the power of womanhood in general. 

Emma & Manny and Clare & Alli

Degrassi: The Next Generation is probably one of the best and most iconic tv shows to come out of the 2000s. Even if you’ve never watched Degrassi religiously, chances are that you’ve either heard of it or have watched a few reruns that seem to constantly play on tv. The 2001 cast starts off with Emma as the main character, just starting middle school with her best friend, Manny. Over the course of six-ish seasons, Emma and Manny’s friendship grows and evolves as they learn and experience new things. Even though they don’t always agree with the other’s choices, they always make up. Clare and Alli have a similar type of friendship as Emma and Manny in the later seasons, but without as much drama between them. Both Clare and Manny go through some really tough times and it is so important that Degrassi was able to show the two girls supporting and uplifting each other while trying to process whatever situation they are in. Degrassi is an amazing show in general, but their focus on inspiring teenage girls (even going back to 2001) is one of the main reasons I adore the show. 

Elena, Bonnie & Caroline

The Vampire Diaries was one of the most popular teen dramas of the 2010s and it was mostly due to the love triangle between the main characters Elena, Damon and Stefan. But, in addition to that romantic love triangle, one of my favorite things about the show was the friendship love triangle between Elena, Bonnie and Caroline. Their friendship truly evolved throughout the entirety of the show as the characters themselves evolved. Elena and Bonnie’s friendship was always solid, but putting Caroline into the mix made their bond even stronger. It was so interesting and relatable to watch these three girls try to navigate high school and become better and more compassionate friends over time. As the seasons went on, the drama and romance did less and less to their actual friendship and that was really incredible to watch. 

Overall, there are some amazing female friendships in popular culture that girls can emulate, but in comparison to other trendy storylines, I think there needs to be more of a conscious effort to create and tell authentic stories of girls’ friendships from all different perspectives and backgrounds.    

Lauren Robitaille

Elizabethtown '22

Hi! I'm a junior at Elizabethtown College. I'm majoring in English and minoring in both Women & Gender Studies and Creative Writing. I enjoy reading, drinking excessive amounts of coffee and binging tv show like nobody's business!