Don’t Let Groceries Eat a Hole in Your Wallet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

If you’re a college student, chances are you’re trying to control your spending. And, similarly, chances are you’re overspending and/or overeating. Whatever the case may be, and whether you live in a dormitory or an independent housing unit, it’s important to eat cheap and healthy. If the thought of grocery shopping spoils your appetite, here are some tips to help you hit the spot:

Plan Your Weekly Meals

Knowing what you’re going to eat before you actually buy anything is probably one of the most helpful tips for saving money at the store. Let’s say you buy chicken and tortillas at the store (or find some stuffed in the back of the fridge). You could make chicken quesadillas on Tuesday, have chicken salad for lunch on Thursday, and maybe have bread and hummus on Friday. That way, every last cent you spend is going to go to something you’ll definitely eat. Planning the meals beforehand is a great way to reduce your spending without sacrificing your stomach.

Set a Budget

This one goes hand-in-hand with planning your meals. Once you have an idea of what you’ll need to buy, it’s time to figure out the price ceiling for your shopping venture. The number may vary from week-to-week; at the start of the semester, when you don’t have your cooking supplies or seasonings, it will probably be on the higher side. Even so, setting a budget allows you to see your savings (or your losses) and figure out how you can improve next time.

Make a List

Even after figuring out what meals you’ll have and how much you want to spend, it’s important to go into the store with a physical list of foods. Even if it’s just a note on your phone or some scribbles on scrap paper, any list is better than nothing. There’s a psychology to grocery shopping, and the list will help keep you stay afloat in a sea of bright packaging and “GREAT DEAL” stickers.

Eat before You Shop

As I just mentioned, grocery stores try to get into the minds of their shoppers and have them spend, spend, spend. Independent reveals how some grocery stores utilize air vents to pump the smell of chocolate or fresh-baked bread throughout the building. If you go to the store on an empty stomach, chances are you’ll spend more than you planned. And who could blame you? That sweet smell of cinnamon raisin bread is just almost impossible to ignore. Emphasis on “almost.” Eat before you go shopping—even a small snack will sate your appetite and prevent your cart from overflowing.

Store Brand is (almost) Always Best

For the most part, store brand items are the way to go. Foods like bread, canned soup and soda can be purchased for fairly cheap without any dramatic or noticeable taste change. Still, that’s not to say you should always opt for store brand. On rare occasions, it’s okay to splurge on Heinz Ketchup or Land-O-Lakes Butter, since both are specially made and delicious. Just remember—when in doubt, try to get store brand.

Buy in Bulk… Sometimes

Ah… the variety pack. The Deal in Disguise. Variety packs of chips and sweets are a great way to satisfy your cravings on a budget, and are perfect for when you pack a meal. And there’s Ramen, a college staple that can be bought in bulk for those days when it’s cold and you don’t feel like cooking too intensely. One bulk container is usually enough to last for a few weeks, so it’s typically a good investment.

Rebecca Easton

Elizabethtown '19

Rebecca Easton is a senior at Elizabethtown College in Pennsylvania. She is currently studying English with a concentration in professional writing, and is pursuing a double minor in communications and business administration. Her primary interests in these fields include social media marketing, web writing and creative writing. She currently works for the Elizabethtown College Center for Student Success as a writing tutor, for Admissions as a tour guide and for the Office of Marketing and Communications. In her spare time, Rebecca enjoys writing, singing, and reading.
Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.