Contemporary Musicals Even Broadway Haters Will Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

I’m a bit of a Broadway mess. I’ve seen countless shows, thanks to local theatres and high school New York City trips (I sold a lot of geraniums in my time). I have over 20 Broadway CDs in my collection, ranging from the contemporary to the ancient. While I could talk about musical theatre all day, I know that some people absolutely hate it. For whatever reason, they aren’t enchanted by live dancing and singing. If you’re one of those people, give one of the shows on this list a chance!

For Gamers and Sci-fi Lovers: “Be More Chill”

Am I biased for putting my all-time favorite musical on this list? Absolutely. But “Be More Chill” was just weird enough and campy enough to weasel its way into my heart, so you’re going to have to put up with it. Based on the young adult novel by the late Ned Vizzini, “Be More Chill” tells the story of high school nobody Jeremy Heere. Wanting to do “more than survive,” Jeremy learns of a supercomputer pill called a SQUIP that’s supposed to teach him how to be, well, chill. Unfortunately, his path to popularity is full of twists and turns, and before long his SQUIP has its sights set on something greater than the top of the high school food chain.

“Be More Chill” includes numerous references to retro music and culture, plenty of current pop-culture references and a non-traditional romance that’s as sweet as Mountain Dew. If you love a creepy sci-fi vibe and campy music, give the soundtrack a listen!

For Movie Buffs: “Heathers” or “Mean Girls”

If you’re anything like me, you love cult classic films. So do musicians, apparently, which is how “Heathers” ended up on West End (London’s Broadway) and “Mean Girls” got a Broadway upgrade. Both shows stay true to the source material, but still allow the writers and actors to flex their chops and bend the rules. There are plenty of gentle chainsaws and scrunchies in “Heathers,” however, and of course “Mean Girls” dedicates an entire number to Karen Smith’s celebration of Halloween and all of the sexy costume options. Even some of the song titles, such as “Dead Gay Son” and “World Burn,” are immediately recognizable to hard-core fans of the movies. Definitely check these shows out if you’re a film fanatic!

For Disney Lovers: Literally Anything Disney-Related

“Aladdin,” “The Lion King” and “Frozen” have all staked their claim on Broadway, and for good reason. With fantastic costumes, breathtaking sets and music that young and old can connect with, Disney musicals are treasures. What’s more, these musicals often build upon the worlds set forth in the movies. The stage adaption of “Frozen” gives Elsa more songs, while “The Lion King” includes the heart-wrenching “They Live In You,” which is followed up in the second act by a reprise about Mufasa, “He Lives In You.” And of course, what could be more magical than watching a magic carpet take flight, close enough to the mezzanine that you could touch Aladdin and Jasmine?

For LGBT+ Theatregoers: “Head Over Heels”

I saw this one on a whim with my sister back in March, and can I just say it was much gayer than anticipated. “Head Over Heels” takes a middle-English text and flips it on its head (or should I say, flips it “Head Over Heels”). Set to music by The Go-Go’s but using Shakespearean dialogue, “Head Over Heels” tells the overlapping, deeply intertwined stories of lesbian lovers, a genderqueer oracle (played by “RuPaul’s Drag Race” star Peppermint) and a farmhand who enjoys a bit of gender roleplay after taking on a female disguise. It’s a hilarious show with a diverse cast and some incredible voices. Seriously, Bonnie Milligan, where did you learn to belt like that?

For Rap Gods: “Hamilton”

Stop me if you’ve heard this one: “Hamilton” is a rap-musical by composer/writer/lyricist/actor/all-around-cool-guy Lin-Manuel Miranda. It tells the story of Alexander Hamilton, tracing his exhausting journey of political intrigue, lust and grief from the moment he’s born until the moment his wife dies (which, tragically, is half a century after his own death). The soundtrack is basically the entire show, and snippets of cut songs and original drafts can be found on YouTube. What’s special about “Hamilton” is the diversity of its cast, with productions using individuals of all races and ethnicities to portray historically white characters. It’s a reflection of modern America, a way to trace our progress and demonstrate what it means to be an American. And it’s just really awesome, with plenty of sick bangers as the kids say.

Rebecca Easton

Elizabethtown '19

Rebecca Easton is a senior at Elizabethtown College in Pennsylvania. She is currently studying English with a concentration in professional writing, and is pursuing a double minor in communications and business administration. Her primary interests in these fields include social media marketing, web writing and creative writing. She currently works for the Elizabethtown College Center for Student Success as a writing tutor, for Admissions as a tour guide and for the Office of Marketing and Communications. In her spare time, Rebecca enjoys writing, singing, and reading.