Celebrating Finals: The Perfect Books to Bring on Vacation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

Every summer, I put together a reading list and set a goal of how many books I want to read. If you’re anything like me, you’re going to be packing a few too many books with your suntan lotion and swimsuits. But choosing a book (or two, or three) can be difficult. I’ve found that the book has to match the mood of where I’m going. I wouldn’t something mind-numbing for a road trip, for example. In honor of any and all vacations you may be taking this summer, here are my suggestions for books to bring along!

Beach Trip: A Classic

Can classics be a bit taxing on the brain? Perhaps. But remember that you don’t have to read on a beach to relax. You can always meditate or just close your eyes. For me, though, the sound of the ocean waves is the perfect backdrop for sailing into a book. Classic lit can definitely deliver when you’re leaning back in a beach chair. Maybe you’ve always wanted to read those 100 books you’re supposed to get through before you die, or maybe you’ve had a few classics sitting on your shelf that you’ve just never touched. Bring one or two to the beach to stimulate your senses in between applying suntan lotion and digging for sand crabs.

Recommended: Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee; Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson

Cruise: Something Challenging

Cruises are the perfect time to bring along that book you’ve been putting off. Maybe it’s a longer one that seems like a commitment, or maybe the language or style is just a level or so above your free reading standard. But when you’re on a ship in the middle of international waters, and you’re sick of mindlessly pressing buttons in the casino and looking at the jewelry shop for the fifteenth time, it’ll be nice to pick up a book that will get you thinking. Just don’t bring something too long, like Infinite Jest. That’ll be a pain to pack and lug around.

Recommended: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series by Steig Larson; Swamplandia! by Karen Russell

Road Trip: Something Action-Packed

You’re stuck in the backseat of a too-hot Subaru, you’re sick of the music on your phone and the world outside your window is about as exciting as cornfields can be. It’s time to crack open a book and be sucked into a distant world. Fantasy and sci-fi are the perfect genres for road trips, because they’ll get you through those inevitable long stretches of nothingness and boredom. If you get along well enough with your car mates, you could always play a book on tape version of these books (do they still have books on tape? Who knows. Make one yourself. Read it out loud. Do silly voices. I don’t care, it’s your road trip).

Recommended: Redwall series by Brian Jacques; Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

Historic Trip: Nonfiction

Biographies (or autobiographies, I’m not judging) are the perfect way to get into that Gettysburg-Battlefield-state-of-mind. Maybe you’re a history buff, or maybe your parents are dragging you along to Ephrata Cloister or Jamestown when you’d much rather be at an amusement park. Trust me: if you’re the latter, I sympathize. But history and nonfiction can be fun, if you choose the right one. Maybe you need an interesting (auto)biography to get through those nights in the old-fashioned bed and breakfast. Or perhaps a retelling of the Battle of Bull Run is perfect for a Civil War buff such as yourself. Whatever the case may be, there is nonfiction out there for everyone, so long as you know what you want.

Recommended: Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan; The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

Disney World: Young Adult Lit

The ultimate trip. The alpha vacation. Disney World is exciting enough on its own, but if you aren’t exhausted by the end of the day, chances are you’ll be pretty bored in your hotel room. And what about the flight or train/car ride down to Florida? That’s the most boring part of the trip! To get yourself in the right mindset for Disney, bring along a young adult lit book or two. These are typically light reads that won’t bore you to death, but instead will excite you. Feel free to bring along a favorite, or maybe just try something new!

Recommended: The Kingdom Keepers series by Ridley Pearson; Beautiful Creatures series by Kami Garcia

Rebecca Easton

Elizabethtown '19

Rebecca Easton is a senior at Elizabethtown College in Pennsylvania. She is currently studying English with a concentration in professional writing, and is pursuing a double minor in communications and business administration. Her primary interests in these fields include social media marketing, web writing and creative writing. She currently works for the Elizabethtown College Center for Student Success as a writing tutor, for Admissions as a tour guide and for the Office of Marketing and Communications. In her spare time, Rebecca enjoys writing, singing, and reading.
Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.