The Best Episode from Every Season of “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

“It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” has been one of my favorite shows for years now, and, as their 13th season comes a close, I still enjoy it just as much as I always have. A show about a bunch of jerks in Philadelphia running their own bar and creating chaos? Amazing. Obviously, with such a long-running series, it’s hard to get into it when there’s so much to watch, so I wanted to go through and cover the best episode of each season of the show so far as a jumping off point for new viewers.

Season One: “The Gang Gets Racist”

The very first episode of the show is a brilliant introduction to the characters and themes the show will cover through the years. Audiences are given a glimpse at truly how awful these characters are but can’t help liking them and wanting to see what horrible thing they do next. The show also tackles racism and discusses homophobia a little in the very first episode, showing that they’re unafraid to cover topics that many shows avoid from the gate.

Season Two: “Dennis and Dee Go on Welfare”

Whenever “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” covers more controversial topics is when they tend to shine most, as in this episode. When two of the characters try to pursue their dreams by quitting their jobs and getting on welfare, they discover that the process is not quite as simple as they thought, and they decide to do anything necessary to be able to live their dreams.

Season Three: “The Gang Gets Held Hostage”

I’m a huge fan of this episode, mainly due to its simplicity and how well the cast works together. The McPoyle siblings hold the gang hostage in the bar for unknown reasons as they desperately try to get away, turning on each other in the process. This episode is a very fun ensemble piece with non-stop laughs, and I’m a huge fan in particular of Kaitlin Olson’s performance.

Season Four: “The Nightman Cometh”

Season four is probably one of the best seasons of the show and contains tons of classic episodes, but “The Nightman Cometh” is arguably the quintessential episode of the show. The episode revolves around the gang’s efforts to put on a musical, which leads to misheard lyrics, awkward acting, and a great performance from the always wonderful Charlie Day as his character quickly grows irritated as his friends begin destroying his musical.

Season Five: “The D.E.N.N.I.S. System”

Glenn Howerton as Dennis is sublime when he is able to be as slimy and disgusting as possible but still somehow wildly charismatic at the same time, and “The D.E.N.N.I.S. System” is the perfect example of this. The episode gives audiences an insight into Dennis’ utterly despicable methods of seduction and allows some of the other characters to try their hand at the titular “D.E.N.N.I.S. System”.

Season Six: “A Very Sunny Christmas”

The long-awaited Christmas special is definitely one to remember. The hour-long episode shows the gang as they reminisce about past Christmases that aren’t quite as jolly as they initially thought and try to teach lessons in “A Christmas Carol” style. Another particularly good performance from Charlie Day in this episode as he attacks a mall Santa in anger over childhood memories.

Season Seven: “Chardee MacDennis: The Game of Games”

This classic episode introduces audiences to Chardee MacDennis, a game that the gang created with some of the craziest rules imaginable, including not being allowed to ask questions. Of course, the characters are way too competitive for their own good, which leads to utter chaos.

Season Eight: “The Gang Dines Out”

This episode is so hilarious but so simple; it’s brilliant. All of the characters find themselves at the same restaurant for dinner one night, and they pretend not to notice each other, until they begin getting angry that they haven’t been noticed or acknowledged. The whole thing turns into a massive battle of egos that the entire restaurant is forced to take part in.

Season Nine: “The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award”

Another battle of egos, the gang gets upset that the bar has never won an award, so they decide they’re going to completely revamp the bar (and themselves) in order to win something. The best moment comes at the end, when Charlie unveils his song to the public.

Season Ten: “Charlie Work”

One of the coolest episodes to come out of this show, “Charlie Work” shows Charlie as he goes through his day-to-day activities to try to make sure the bar passes inspection. From the amazing camerawork (that makes the whole episode seem like it’s one shot) to Charlie Day’s superb performance, this episode is easily one of the top five the show has ever created.

Season Eleven: “Mac and Dennis Move to the Suburbs”

One of my personal favorites, this episode follows Mac and Dennis as (you guessed it) they move to the suburbs, but a bet is involved since no one else believes they’ll be able to make it out of the city, giving it more stakes. Mac and Dennis find themselves slowly spiraling into insanity as they try to live in the new environment. Also, brilliant performances by both Rob McElhenney and Glenn Howerton in this episode.

Season Twelve: “The Gang Goes to a Water Park”

A super fun episode, “The Gang Goes to a Water Park” follows each character as they navigate around a water park for the day. Mac and Dee live everyone’s biggest waterslide fear, Charlie and Frank rush to ride every ride in the park and Dennis finds a young girl who is very similar to himself.

Season Thirteen: “Mac Finds His Pride”

A surprisingly heartfelt episode, the latest episode of “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” features newly-out Mac as he tries to navigate where he “fits in” as a gay man. Rob McElhenney’s dedication to the show is especially apparent in this episode (and throughout the entirety of season 13), particularly the insane shape that he got into for Mac’s character this season. The ending scene is beautiful and moving, particularly the performance of Danny Devito, and shows that the show can be serious when it needs to be and still create amazing television.

A few other great episodes (in chronological order): “The Gang Gets Invincible”, “America’s Next Top Paddy’s Billboard Model Contest”, “Who Got Dee Pregnant?”, “The Gang Goes to the Jersey Shore”, “High School Reunion” (Parts One and Two), “Charlie and Dee Find Love”, “The Gang Beats Boggs”, “Hero or Hate Crime” and “Time’s Up for the Gang”.

Allison Hauser

Elizabethtown '19

Allison is a senior communications major with a film studies minor at Elizabethtown College.
Rebecca Easton

Elizabethtown '19

Rebecca Easton is a senior at Elizabethtown College in Pennsylvania. She is currently studying English with a concentration in professional writing, and is pursuing a double minor in communications and business administration. Her primary interests in these fields include social media marketing, web writing and creative writing. She currently works for the Elizabethtown College Center for Student Success as a writing tutor, for Admissions as a tour guide and for the Office of Marketing and Communications. In her spare time, Rebecca enjoys writing, singing, and reading.