Anna Schultz-Girl Sitting On Bed Facing Wall
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

Going back to school during a pandemic can prove to be hard for many people because it is a situation we never imagined ourselves in. Personally, going back to college has proved to be semi-difficult, especially since I am living alone, and we are not supposed to be visiting other people on campus. When I was picking housing for the next school year, I was already struggling because living alone alone was not a situation I pictured myself in. Some struggles were going on with housing, which ended up being my only option by the end of it, and it was stressful even without a pandemic going on. I am slowly learning how to adapt to this new situation, and thus I have to figure out how to stay safe and not become completely socially isolated. Being around people is a significant part of not sinking into a massive depression because my mind can attack itself when I am alone. It has already proven to be difficult as I have had some horrible days, and it is only the beginning of the semester. However, I think this will allow me to get accustomed to it, and maybe after a while; it won’t be as hard for me; perhaps I will get used to it.            For people like myself living alone, it is essential to find ways to stay connected to college friends and how not to allow your mind to think destructive thoughts. One way I’ve found is socializing with friends in the great outdoors, such as going for walks or having socially distanced picnics.  However, winter approaching may not be possible anymore as people generally want to be out in the cold. So, in the winter, there will be Facetiming, but that does not compare to real socialization. Maybe we can play online games together, or stay in contact via text, but just like face timing, this cannot replace real human interaction. We can see perhaps social distance and talk in the school’s café since it is set up for social distancing, this I could see as a minor solution. It is better than not seeing loved ones at all. I think the biggest thing for me will be to become comfortable with myself, which I have never done before. I am a very self-conscious person who does not like themselves and thinks everyone hates them or will forget them. So, it is time for me to retrain my brain to think that I am worthy even if I am not living with the friends I hold very close to my heart. I am trying every day to train my brain to reframe my thinking and finding little things to make me happy as time goes on. I need to remember that I am not the only person feeling like this and that learning to be comfortable alone is very important for my mental health recovery. I need to get over the FOMO that I think by living alone instead of being grateful for my situation. I will have to continue working every day on my mental health and taking time to let myself adjust and not try to force myself to accept it radically. I think that I am doing okay so far; if this were a year ago, I do not believe I would be doing, and I am right now because back when the state shut down, I started working on me. I feel calmer and more comfortable with myself; I still have slip-ups trust me, but I am doing a lot better than I would have been a year ago. Just remember that you are worthy, no matter if you live alone or not. 

Kaylyn Gordon

Elizabethtown '21

Hello, my name is Kaylyn and I am a student at Elizabethtown College studying Environmental Science.
Mary Kirby

Elizabethtown '21

Hi! I’m Mary!