6 Ways to Kickstart Your Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

After a long and cozy winter break, it can be difficult to get back into the college mindset. The beginning of the semester means the start of classes, sports practices, campus jobs and internships. Juggling these responsibilities can be overwhelming without the proper preparation. A strong start is key to having a successful semester. Check out these steps and learn how to kickstart your semester!

1. Set Goals

If you want to have a successful semester, you need to know where you’re headed. Consider the things that you wish went differently last semester and set goals to improve. Check out these examples of academic, professional and personal goals to make this semester great:

• Improve GPA

• Obtain a campus job or internship

• Arrange a job shadow experience

• Follow a fitness routine

• Attend a new campus event

• Join a student organization (like Her Campus Elizabethtown!)

• Read a book for pleasure

2.  Plan It Out

Deadlines are closer than they appear. Although your semester may start off slow, it’s important to look ahead. Grab your syllabi and take some time to plan out the semester. Whether you choose to use a physical planner or a digital calendar, writing down your class assignments, project deadlines and exam dates for the semester will give you an idea of what’s ahead. Be sure to include things like car inspections and doctors appointments on your schedule. This will allow you to better manage your time and make sure you don’t miss any important dates.

3. Develop a Routine & Stick with It

Develop good habits early. If you find yourself with an extra chunk of time between classes, use it to meet your goals. Study, complete a workout or catch up on your favorite book. If you’re having trouble staying motivated, find fun ways to accomplish your goals. A E-town, there’s plenty of clubs and organizations that are rewarding and fun. If you’re looking to stay in shape, grab your friends and try intramurals, head to the Body Shop, or attend fitness classes. Incorporating these activities into your regular schedule will make it easier to stay on track with your goals.

4. Get Ahead Whenever Possible

It may be smooth sailing through the first few weeks of the semester, but as midterms and finals approach you may find yourself scrambling to finish that essay or make flashcards for the exam. Get tasks done early to prevent the sufferings of procrastination. Finishing a 30 minute online quiz on a Tuesday may not seem like a big deal, but having that extra time on a Sunday before a big exam can make all the difference.

5. Stay Organized

Mastering organization can be challenging, but it can help your life run much more smoothly, especially while you’re away at college. Aside from classes, dorm (or apartment) life is a huge part of the college experience. With this freedom comes the responsibility of doing your laundry regularly, buying groceries (if necessary) and doing dishes. If you start pushing off these simple chores at the beginning of the semester, you and your roommates will regret it.

6. Seek A Tutor Early

After a week or two of classes, you should have a pretty good idea of what to expect from a course for the semester. If you can sense it’s going to be a tough one, talk to your professor or find a student tutor right away. Seeking academic help early on will save you from falling behind later. You can choose tutor sessions that best fit your needs, and you can always cut back on tutoring sessions if you regain confidence with the course. There are many tutoring services available at E-town, including: Learning Zone tutors, peer tutors and writing tutors.

A strong start to the semester is key to your success. Hit the ground running and make this semester your best yet. Set goals, follow a routine and plan out your schedule.

Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.