6 Reasons Why You Should Job Shadow in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

The term “job shadow” is in commonplace on college campuses. Professors, career service staff and professionals visiting campus constantly bring up the importance of job shadowing. Like job interviews, job shadowing can seem intimidating at first. They entail visiting an unfamiliar organization and meeting with professionals in your industry. Job shadows should not be intimidating, in fact, they should be comforting. Job shadow experiences provide countless benefits to students brave enough to make the arrangements. Check out these six reasons why you should job shadow in college:

1. Explore Your Dream Job

After learning about countless careers and taking several classes in your area of interest, you’ve finally found it: your dream job… but how do you know it’s your dream job? Aside from reading accounts from professionals in the industry and researching important information about the career, you have minimal evidence to show that your newly found “dream job” truly fits with your goals and aspirations. Job shadowing can mend this situation. You may not be able to reach your dream job now, but you can reach out to those who currently fill the position. Seek out professionals who have your dream job or work at your dream company. Try sending them an email or reaching out to them on LinkedIn and set up a job shadow. A job shadow experience will give you a taste of your dream job and help you figure out if it’s the right fit for you.

2. Get Familiar with Varying Work Environments

Maybe you have no idea what your dream job is. If you’re having trouble narrowing your career goals, job shadow experiences can be just as helpful. Set up multiple job shadow experiences at diverse companies and compare them. Sometimes work environment can be just as important as the position itself. Visiting several companies will give you a better idea of the type of work environment you’re looking for, whether it be a cool, exciting millennial company or a serious, rigorous work environment.

3. Inform Yourself about the Industry

Job shadow experiences will provide you with more information about the industry you’re looking to enter. You’ll learn about the types of jobs available and what specific positions will entail. You can step into the shoes of professionals for a day to find out if you can see yourself filling a similar role in the future. You’ll learn more about the requirements and expectations in the industry.

4. Network with Professionals

The more job shadow experiences you complete, the more professional you’ll meet. Do not underestimate the power of these connections. Make a good first impression at your job shadow experiences and open doors to a world of opportunities. Remaining on good terms with those in your professional network will come in handy when it comes time for you to apply for internships or jobs after graduation. These professionals may also serve as great mentors or references in the future.

5. Get Questions Answered

Job shadows provide the perfect platform for you to ask questions. Whether you’re curious about a tradition in the industry or history of the company, this is the time to break out the questions you’ve been holding back. Use this time to gain insight into inside secrets, like typical interview questions, the challenges of the industry or advice for someone in your shoes.

6. Now is the Time

Take advantage of being a student. This is the only time when you’ll be able to job shadow anyone you’d like without it being uncomfortable. Learn as much as you can while still in college and try out all the jobs you’re curious or passionate about.

Don’t be afraid of job shadows! These informative experiences are low pressure and can lead you to a world of opportunities.

Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.