5 Brands That Fight Human Trafficking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

MY SISTER

With MY SISTER’s clothing and accessories, what you wear tells a story. The brand recognizes that sexual exploitation happens in every city, affecting women and girls across the nation and around the world. MY SISTER sells ethically-sourced apparel that make a statement against sex trafficking.

A percentage of each purchase from MY SISTER goes to the brand’s non-profit partners MN Girls Are Not For Sale, Watch, The Link and Maiti Nepal. These funds go directly towards providing education, empowerment and employment for survivors of commercial sexual exploitation.

The Tote Project

Fay Grant and Michelle Chaves founded The Tote Project to educate others about modern day slavery and to inspire them to take a stand. The Tote Project sells fair trade, organic tote bags and pouches that are produced by survivors of human trafficking in India. Each product comes with a small card tucked inside that instructs consumers on how to identify victims of trafficking.

20% of the proceeds from every sale of a tote bag or pouch in the Freedom Collection is donated to Two Wings, a Los Angeles based non-profit that provides mentoring, life coaching and career training to survivors of sex trafficking.

Citizen & Darling

27 million men, women and children around the world have been victims of human trafficking. This alarming statistic spurred two friends, Karina and Christina to work together to develop a clothing line that spreads awareness about the epidemic of modern day slavery.

Karina, a graduate of the Fashion Institute of Los Angeles, and Christina, an aspiring psychologist knew they could find a way to collaborate for change. Citizen & Darling reminds others that fashion is about more than just expressing personal style, it’s about expressing the causes you care about.

Nomi Network

This non-profit economic development agency fights human trafficking in India and Cambodia by proving training and job opportunities to survivors and women at risk of human trafficking. Nomi Network sells products that are ethically made from organic cotton and recycled materials and feature empowering messages about abolition.

The “I Believe In Her Tote” portrays an image of the women and girls walking towards freedom. Each bag is signed by the woman who made it. The “Buy Her Bag Not Her Body” reminds consumers that providing aid to survivors of human trafficking is about more than being rescued from dire situations, it’s about providing survivors with the necessary care and rehabilitation.

PURPOSE

PURPOSE Jewelry is crafted by young women who have been rescued from sex trafficking situations. The organization works with survivors in India, Mumbai and Orange County, CA. The young women employed through PURPOSE earn a fair wage and gain employable skills that help to shape a brighter future.

Shaye DiPasquale is a creative content creator, student journalist and self-described activist and advocate for human rights
Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.