This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

Even though I love writing in all of its odd, misshapen forms, I really haven’t kept a diary for an extended period of time. There were a few times in high school when I’d open a new Word document and type out an angst-ridden rant about how I was just so different, but those were more cringy than constructive.

Over the summer, I decided to give journaling a try. I actually managed to stick with it, which came as a huge surprise since I bounce from interest to interest. During this short span of time, journaling has actually taught me a bit about myself, and given me insight into how I can be a better person. Check out some examples and try journaling for yourself!

1.  Come to terms with negative emotions

Nothing quite stirs negative emotions in us eighteen-to-twenty-somethings like the start of a school year. The stress of when to study, what to wear and who to room with is enough to make even the most seasoned socialite’s head spin.

Journaling helps you get to the root of your stress, anger, fear or sadness. It’s one thing to know what you’re feeling, it’s another to know why you’re feeling. By connecting your pen to your brain and heart, you can pour out your emotions onto paper and, with any luck, nip those unfriendly feelings in the bud.

2.  Understand why I love the things I love

Have you ever been so passionate about a show, song or story that you just had to keep it to yourself? Or maybe you shared it with a friend, hoping they’d like it, only for them to dismiss beloved characters as stupid or childish or uninteresting. The latter has happened to me plenty of times. It can be so disheartening for your passion to crumble under the weight of someone else’s scrutiny.

By journaling about my favorite musicals, books and hobbies, I learned more about myself. I went back to the root of the issue—why did I fall in love with this thing in the first place? Rediscovering the initial magic and draw of a beloved story can strengthen your interest in it and give some new perspective into why it might mean so much to you.

3.  Cope with losing friends

One of the hardest things about being in college—especially being a senior in college—is the growing distance between myself and friends from my hometown. People you once jumped rope with on the playground are moving on to colleges across the country, ditching the Heelys for heels and the Crayola 64-packs for briefcases. And while it’s nice to believe you’ll all meet up and it’ll be just like the old days, that may not be the case.

Journaling has helped me come to terms with friends who no longer want to be friends. It’s a way to validate and rationalize my anger and hurt. To be honest, journaling is one of the cheapest forms of therapy and self-care you can practice. Have a paper and pencil? You’re good to go.

4.  Listen and think critically

I’ve always fancied myself a good listener, since friends often come to me to rant. But, in journaling, I’ve found that I’ve been a better advice-giver than a listener. It was through a few entries from late in the summer that I realized I was almost tooneutral in some cases. The practice of journaling is incredibly eye-opening, as it reveals deep facets of your personality that you may not have noticed before. It’s like reading an old story or essay you wrote—you have this third-person perspective, because you’ve grown and become a slightly different person.

Rebecca Easton

Elizabethtown '19

Rebecca Easton is a senior at Elizabethtown College in Pennsylvania. She is currently studying English with a concentration in professional writing, and is pursuing a double minor in communications and business administration. Her primary interests in these fields include social media marketing, web writing and creative writing. She currently works for the Elizabethtown College Center for Student Success as a writing tutor, for Admissions as a tour guide and for the Office of Marketing and Communications. In her spare time, Rebecca enjoys writing, singing, and reading.
Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.