This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

Do you love fall and want to express your love through creativity? Hello, Pinterest Mom coming at ya. Here are some Pinterest DIY’s for the fall to complete when you’re procrastinating studying, or you just have some free time. And if you don’t love fall, you should do these anyway to fix your problems and learn to love it like everyone else.

Christmas tree made of leaves

I never would have thought of this on my own. There are only four materials: a flower pot, a tomato cage, string lights and some fake leaves. Attach the tomato cage (which I never heard of before but they exist and are easy to find) to the flower pot, and wrap the lights around them so it stays. Then wrap the leaves along the cage’s wires, and it looks like a tiny Christmas tree but made of leaves. Super cute and would look awesome in your dorm.

Mason jar candle holder

I know college students can’t have candles in our dorms, but this can be used as so many things. Pencil and pen holder, vessel for your makeup brushes or general decoration. You just need some fake leaves, like in the last pin, and Mod Podge. You just gotta glue layers of fake leaves onto a glass container, bottle or jar. Putting a light inside makes it glow and show all the layers, but it’s super cute just on it’s own as a fall decoration.

DIY pumpkin!

Not sure what to do with that novel you skimmed through for last semester’s class now that no one wants to buy it from you? Here’s a solution, turn it into a pumpkin! Create a stencil for a pumpkin shape, then align it on the book (without the cover) and snip away. When you open all the pages, the binding of the book shapes it into a circular pumpkin shape. This pin even shows how to color it orange and add a cute stem. It’d honestly be so fun to do this with a group of friends.

Fall potpourri

I didn’t know what potpourri was prior to this pin, and I’m so excited to try this on my own now. Since we can’t have candles in our dorms at E-Town, this is an awesome way to make your place smell like the fall. The pin calls for a pot and stove, so anyone living in an apartment can totally do this; and if you’re in a dorm it’ll probably work with a microwave instead. Add your own ingredients, they recommend orange peels and cinnamon, but feel free to add pumpkin, vanilla, and herbs. Your home will be smelling vibrant and relaxing in no time.

Flower pomanders

Wiffle balls are the main material for this, which are plastic tennis-ball-like spheres with holes in them. Glue fake flowers into each hole, and use string to hang them, and they’re super cute. You can make it more romantic with roses, fall with sunflowers, or bright with spring flowers. If you create a line of them it’d be so cute to have them hanging along your dorm wall, or even on your door.

Door decorations

Spider webs, mummies, Frankenstein’s monster, ghosts and monsters are just some of the many under this pin. Pick up posters from the school store or a dollar store, and use a marker to map out the shapes you want, then just glue them on. Imagine how cool your dorm would look with a monster face on it. I know you want to try it.

Make your own wreath

Also another cute door decoration, this pin has all types of DIY pins. Snakes, spiders, twigs, skeletons, eyeballs, crows, cat and just some pretty Halloween ones. Some of the easy ones include buying a circle and just gluing things to it, which would take ten minutes at most. Plus, unlike the door decorations for the last pin, these can be kept and used for years.

Lil baby pumpkins

I’m definitely going to do this one because I just have bandanas everywhere that I never wear. Yeah that’s right, these pumpkins are made of bandanas. You just need a needle, string, a bandana, and some stuffing (can use cotton balls). They’re small and soft, and would be an awesome gift idea for your friends for them to keep on their desks.

Pumpkin spice sugar scrub

I love me a good sugar scrub, and this is something I would have never thought of, but if you look up fall sugar scrub on Pinterest, you get so many pins! There’s vanilla pumpkin spice, apple spice, spiced apple cider, candy corn, gingerbread, caramel vanilla, maple, cinnamon and vanilla, apple, pumpkin coffee, apple cinnamon and so many more. I just picked the OG fall scent, pumpkin spice, but if it were up to me, I’d make every scent.

A really cool fall snow globe

I gasped when I saw this one because it’s just so cute. Get yourself a mason jar, a twig or branch from anywhere outside, and fall-colored confetti. Glue the twig to the inside of the lid to the jar, fill the jar with water and confetti. The confetti looks like leaves falling from the tree whenever you flip the jar, and it’s just a great take on a snow globe. Feel free to add things to it, like glitter or fake leaves.

Cute doormat

I’ve always wanted a doormat outside my dorm, but didn’t know what I wanted it to look like. This pin is super simple and cute, and would take five minutes to do. The free stencil reads “Hey There Pumpkin”, which you print out and tape to a plain mat, and use fabric paint to fill in the print. It’s so cute, and everyone who walks past your door would appreciate it.

Apple pie soap

If you thought I was done after the sugar scrubs, well think again. We got some DIY soap up in here. Instead of pumpkin, I found an apple pie soap (which would smell AMAZING with a pumpkin spice sugar scrub). You need soap base (available on Amazon), a mold, then the fun ingredients like apple fragrance oil, cinnamon and vanilla extract. The pin even shows how to add colorful dye and labels.

Pumpkin bath bomb

AND EVEN MORE PINS FOR YOU TO SMELL LIKE A LITERAL SNACK This time: bath bomb. Not only pumpkin scented, but pumpkin shaped as well. The ingredients for a basic bath bomb are baking soda, citric acid powder and oil. Add pumpkin spice and cinnamon powders and use a cookie cutter to shape it, and you’ve made a beautiful little bath bomb.

Punny pumpkins (punkins?)

“Creep it real”, “I’m here for the boos”, “If you’ve got it, haunt it”, “witch better have my candy”, and “trick o trick yourself” are just some of the great puns in this pin. All you need to do it paint a base on your punkin (optional), then print a mirrored pun onto tattoo paper, which is the same paper used to apply temporary tattoos. They’re bright and colorful and super cute to give out to friends, keep around your dorm or display outside your door.  

Head in a jar prank

I saw this one a while ago, so I had to hunt it down again. I just think it’s funny to prank your roommate or friend. Get a big glass jar and fill with colored water, then place a distorted picture in it. You can edit the picture yourself (the pin shows how) if you want it to be someone’s specific head, or you can find already done one’s on Google. The distortion from the picture, which must be laminated, inside water makes it look like a real head. Leave your head in a jar on your roommate’s desk, or walk around campus with it to give everyone a seasonal fright.

Jennifer Davenport

Elizabethtown '21

Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus club at Elizabethtown College. Jennifer is part of the Class of 2021, and she's a middle level English education major, with a creative writing minor. Her hobbies include volunteering, watching YouTube for way too many hours, and posting memes on her Instagram. She was raised in New Jersey, lives in New York, and goes to college in Pennsylvania, so she's ruined 3 of America's 50 states. She's an advocate for mental health, LGBT+ rights, and educational reform.
Rebecca Easton

Elizabethtown '19

Rebecca Easton is a senior at Elizabethtown College in Pennsylvania. She is currently studying English with a concentration in professional writing, and is pursuing a double minor in communications and business administration. Her primary interests in these fields include social media marketing, web writing and creative writing. She currently works for the Elizabethtown College Center for Student Success as a writing tutor, for Admissions as a tour guide and for the Office of Marketing and Communications. In her spare time, Rebecca enjoys writing, singing, and reading.