jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Your Life in a Hip-Hop History Musical

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

My sister, a fellow history fanatic, had been trying to get me to listen to the Hamilton Musical soundtrack for quite some time. Last week, I finally sat down and got on YouTube and started sampling some of the music. I immediately fell in love, and my sister being the #1 sister that she is, surprised me by buying the Hamilton soundtrack for me. I haven’t been able to turn it off since! To anyone who hears the word “musical” and is instantly turned off, you should give this one a try. It’s not your typical musical theater music. In fact, it’s predominately rap and the tunes are bound to stay embedded in your mind for days. To all my history buffs out there, you will fall in love instantly. I guarantee it! And to all of you who aren’t quite sure who Alexander Hamilton even is, here’s a summed up explanation for you:

This play is also extremely relatable for so many reasons. If I haven’t persuaded you yet, just take a look:

That feeling when you first go to college and you finally feel like an adult 

When you’re trying to budget and it’s the end of the month

Then the new month starts, but you realize you have to spend money on necessities and your budget starts to diminish again

When it’s only 9 o’clock and you realize you haven’t gotten 8 hours of sleep in 3 years

When you’re completely unprepared for an organization meeting or study group session

When your professor calls on you for a question you don’t know the answer to, but you got it right

When you’re at a college tailgate and you look around and all you see is this

Your thoughts exactly anytime you put your foot in your mouth

When you see a cute guy and start formulating a plan

When you finish that test you’ve been studying forever for and realize you now have some time to yourself (for now)

When you buy a cute new outfit and decide to flaunt it

Strolling back into the class you skipped on Friday

When you have to pay the bookstore a million and a half dollars a semester for textbooks

When you sit down and start scrolling through Pinterest

When it’s Friday night and you have the entire weekend ahead of you

But then the inevitable comes and it’s back to work

When your friend misses your Snapchat story, but jokes on them

When you realize the paper you’ve been procrastinating on is due tonight at midnight

When talking is sometimes an issue for you because you constantly say what’s on your mind

When the line for a free T-shirt is two hours long

When you get into groups for a group project and you lay down the law

When you tell a joke you think is hilarious but no one laughs

When it’s time for you to graduate and your friends and family are happy you’re graduating (maybe too happy)

But seriously you guys, this is an extremely relatable play for a variety of reasons. No matter who you are, or what your background is, you’re capable of doing anything you set your mind to. In college it’s important to remember this.

Do not throw away your shot.

Writing. Living. Loving. Laughing. Eating.