This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

Fall break is arguably the best break that we as college students are given all year. Here’s why:

It comes at the perfect time. For the first month or two of school everything is fun and games. You’re so busy with new classes, catching up with friends and getting back in the zone of things that you don’t have time to miss home too much. Then October hits, it hits hard. October brings the stress of your first bad test grade and the reality of school getting harder each year. You crave a long weekend at home to escape from everything, and fall break is waiting for you with open arms.

It’s the perfect length. Typically fall break is 4 days. 4 days is the perfect amount of time to get home, get to spend an entire day doing nothing but laying on the couch, and then the rest of the days doing fall things and catching up with old friends. 

You see your closest friends. Unlike winter break where you’re home for a few weeks at a time and have time to see everyone you knew from high school; fall break you only see your few closest friends. With not much time to spare, you get to squeeze in a girls night watching movies and a night around the bonfire. You get to catch up on the last month and a half of life and tell all of your best stories.

It gets you excited for the holidays. We all know that the start to the holiday craziness is Halloween, and Halloween starts with fall break. You pick and carve your pumpkins, and endulge in your apple cider and doughnuts, all to get in the groove of fall. Everyone is decorated for Halloween, and the Halloween decorations lead to Thanksgiving which brings Christmas and New Years. It gives a sense of hope that the semster is halfway through, and there are wonderful things to look forward to everytime you come home after. 

It gives you the extra rejuvination you need. There is something about being fed home cooked meals, breaking out your sweaters, and relaxing that can make you feel like a new person. Fall break gives you that extra push you need to go back into the semester and finish strong, without being stressed all of break about end of semester projects and tests.

I feel bad for the schools that don’t give their students a fall break, because it truly is a break needed like no other. 

I'm just a northern girl living in a southern world. You've probably seen me giving a campus tour or distracting friends in the library.