Top 8 Reasons Why It’s A Pirate’s Life For Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

I’m a sophomore here at ECU and the past two years I’ve grown to love this place more than I could ever imagine. Pirate nation isn’t just a place on the map, it’s a place that will fully embrace you no matter what and become your home away from home. Every time I give a campus tour I’m asked why I chose ECU out of every school on the map, and here’s what I tell them..

1. When I say purple, you say gold.

There is something about the East Carolina campus that fills the soul with an undeniable amount of school spirit. At orientation they’ll tell you that when someone says purple, you’re supposed to say gold. I didn’t think that people would actually walk around yelling colors out randomly, but I was wrong. Whether you’re walking in West End and someone yells purple out a window, or the two sides of the stadium are yelling it back and forth, it is your duty as a pirate to respond with “gold.”

2. Southern Hospitality

Coming from New England, I had heard the phrase southern hospitality but had never really experienced it. Everyone in Greenville is friendly. I remember the first time that I was still quite a distance from a building, but the man who saw me coming continued to hold the door for me until I got there. Or when I went into the dining hall every morning and Ms. B would brighten my day with a simple hello. Everyone uses small gestures to make ECU feel like home, and it really does become one.

3. Football Games

There is nothing in this world like the silence in the stadium just before the purple haze and opening video. There’s a feeling of pride in the air as the Pirates prepare to play. Going to a football game means an entire day filled with fun. It starts with hours of tailgating with friends and family, followed by the game, and if you can make it, downtown is always celebrating a victory that night. The days are filled with cheering and singing the fight song until you have no voice any more.

4. Pool Parties

On any given day in spring, the campus and apartment pools are filled with students soaking up the sun. At the pool you’re bound to run into friends, catch some sun, and if you like to play games, you’ll probably win prizes too! There is no such thing as being bored or having nothing to do during a spring day at ECU.

5. Campus Life

No matter what you like to spend your free time doing, ECU has something that will fit your needs. With all of the clubs and organizations on campus, you’re bound to find the perfect fit for you. If you want to be in Greek life, there are tons of fraternities and sororities to choose from. If you want to be more involved in your major, every major has a club too. You can also spend your time competing in all kinds of intramural sports throughout the year. There are always activities being held on campus for students too, like Barefoot on the mall with concerts or the 7:07 series.

6. Our Academics 

ECU may have the reputation of a party school, but haven’t you heard the phrase work hard, play hard? Our academics often fall in the shadows of other North Carolina schools but in reality, they’re actually really good. Between our nursing program, our education program, and the Brody School of Medicine, we are extremely successful.

7. Sup Dogs

Besides having the most delicious hot dogs around, topped with the best sauce, Sup Dogs is the best place to hangout. With the big deck outside, everyone loves to spend an afternoon sitting outside enjoying the weather and food with friends. And the best part? Sup Dogs always has the best music playing.

8. Campus

I think our campus is the perfect size. You can walk to any point on main campus, but it’s not so small that you always see the same people. It’s big enough to get some exercise and small enough to still feel familiar. Despite the size, campus feels like home. If you walk past the mall on any nice day, it’s calming to see everyone playing games or studying in Enos. Not to mention, our campus is just beautiful in general.

I'm just a northern girl living in a southern world. You've probably seen me giving a campus tour or distracting friends in the library.