Supporting Him When You Don’t Understand His Passion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

Ladies,

We all want to be good girlfriends to the right guy and be supportive of their passions. But what do you do if your man has aspirations for a field you have absolutely no understanding of?

Due to the fact that my significant other loves finance and market research, which is outside of my realm of comprehension, I’m still trying to figure that out.

As I sat, staring at my computer screen trying to figure out what stocks to “buy” and which ones to “short”, (since I signed up to participate in my boyfriend’s Investment Club Campus Stock Challenge) I realized I have really no understanding of the area of study my boyfriend is so invested in (no pun intended). 

I don’t even know what I don’t know about finance and the market.

Trading, interest rates, foreign currencies, this-and-that report, CDS, ABS, LBO. What the hell do these even mean?

Unfortunately, he also caught on to my plan of trying to impress him by doing well in his stock challenge by trying to Google “good stocks.” Needless to say, he was not amused. But I did get some quality time with the Investment Club president sitting down with me trying, once again, to explain the stock market to me. Alas, it was to no avail.

My boyfriend can go on for ages about equity valuations (whatever that is) and the stock market. I love listening to the passion and drive he has when talking about those subjects, but quite honestly, all the information he feeds me goes right over my head.

I’m a smart girl, but math-like concepts and numbers have never been my thing. This man straight went to his whiteboard one night and spent a good hour or two doing his absolute best to explain the concept of trading commodities, and I felt like my world was spinning.

How are you supposed to support your significant other when they love something you don’t understand?

About the only thing I’ve been able to do thus far is to do my research to find things my boyfriend might find interesting, such as surprising him with multiple Michael Lewis books. Even though I don’t understand the field, that doesn’t mean in the slightest that I won’t do my best to go above and beyond with supporting him.

After many headaches and conversations that sound like they might as well have been spoken in a foreign language, the only answer I have is to just simply try your best.

I’ll keep doing my best to follow along with his spontaneous lectures and occasional struggles, but for now, all that matters to me is that this is what he loves to do and it makes him happy. I know he knows I’m confused most of the time, but all he needs is for me to try to understand and be the woman in his life who he can always rely on to listen.

Seeing my boyfriend happy naturally makes me happy. One day I hope I will magically become a financial genius (yeah right), or at least be able to decipher what he means when he talks about certain concepts. But for now, seeing him happy is good enough for me. Now that’s an area I know quite a bit about!

Sources:

https://eldiariony.com/2017/07/16/memorias-de-mis-despistes/

Writing. Living. Loving. Laughing. Eating.