This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

Formal Season is upon us and the biggest issue most girls have is finding a dress…I mean date and you will think you have it all figured out the perfect date, dress and pre-game details until it all falls apart. Here are the 7 phases of finding a formal date.

1. Phase 1: Putting off finding a date

You either already have someone (or some people) in mind but you think it’s too early in the school year to ask. Or you think it is too early in the relationship to ask and you keep putting it off until BOOM! You have two weeks left until formal and you still haven’t asked anyone.

1. Phase 2: Trying to find a dress

Whether it is online shopping or going to every department store or boutique in town, you will try to find a dress before you find a date because formal dates are sort of easy to come by (if you want a random frat guy or your sister’s boyfriend’s neighbors friend to go with you to formal) but the perfect formal dress…well, that’s rare.

1. Phrase 3: Asking a formal date and getting denied

The most nerve racking part is asking a guy to formal. You can either be really laid back and ask him on snapchat or you can talk to him in person but the worst part in either situation is when he says no. Especially if it was your boyfriend, who you assumed could go, but he has to work or has to go out of town. So, even if he has a good reason, he still said no and now you are stuck because you waited to the last minute and it was either him or your second-cousin Cheryl. So, I guess you’re taking Cheryl.

1. Phase 4: Trying to think of another guy to ask

You are torn. You don’t want to take a random guy but your sister’s friend is known to rage and maybe you will have fun. But then you want to take someone you know or have gone out with before but is it too early? Does he like dance? Will he expect a little something something after?

1. Phase 5: Having your date finally say yes

You will do a little happy dance inside when he finally says yes and you will literally tell everyone of your friends you finally have a date and maybe you will even tell them because you are THAT excited.

1. Phase 6: When your date says, “What should I wear to this thing?”

You will inevitably be asked by your date, what he should wear. You will have to send him pictures of appropriate outfits or give him ideas by throwing around words like, blazer or slacks so he doesn’t show up cowboys or timberland boots or cargo shorts.

1. Phase 7: Finding the right pregame

The pregame is one of the most important phases of formal. You want your date to have fun with your friends but if it is a random date and he is friends with one of your sisters you will have to hang out with that sister the whole time so its not awkward for him. Or if you know your date you have to keep in mind the type of people he would like to be around.

Formal is a lot of fun but the weeks leading up to formal can be super annoying and stressful. So plan your date, pregame details and outfits early so you don’t get stuck with a random in a dress from target because it was all you could find. Happy hunting.

Junior at East Carolina University. History and English Major. I love the beach and music. You can find me at the Library or at La Riberia.
Born and raised in Fayetteville, NC, but Ocean Isle Beach is closer to my heart. I'm an East Carolina University sophomore and a passionate English and Creative writing major.