This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

Spring break has arrived…. Let the adventures begin. With the time away from school many college kids are packing their suitcases as we speak. The packing process can be a pain. What do I bring? What don’t I bring? Pure torture sitting their contemptating over all the choices. But it doesn’t have to be. Here are some tips on how to avoid easy packing mistakes.

1. Know your destination

Even if you are going on a spontaneous trip just for a few days know a few things about the place you are going to. If you have a general idea of what activities are available it can help in the packing process. Maybe you look and see that your hotel is next to a horse ranch that gives horse rides, so you can pack your riding boots. Or if there are lakes in the area you can pack a swimsuit. Whatever you spring break may entail its good to know the area ahead of time.

1. Check the weather

Weather can change quickly. The day before a big trip I always recheck the weather to make sure nothing has changed. Sometimes it has and I might make the decision to throw in an umbrella. That could make all the difference when you are on a walking tour of Charleston in the pouring rain you will wish you had that umbrella.

1. Pack according to what you are doing

If you are not going hiking then don’t bring hiking boots. That is extra space in your suitcase you could use. I know it is the worst thing when I have something amazing planned like a swim at the lake, and I forget my swimsuit. Think about what you will be doing at wherever you go that will help you organize what you need and don’t need.

1. Bring some ‘just in case’ things

I get headaches a lot. I always have my pouch of ‘just in case’. You would not want to waste a minute of your fantastic break having a headace so bring some Tylenol just in case. Even if you never use it you have it jus tin case you would.

1. Make a checklist

As I begin the packing process I write down things that I need as I go along. That is the best way to know whether or not you have literally EVERYTHING you need. Phone chargers, shampoo, toothbrushes are all things I would never want to be without. 

1. Don’t Overpack

As tempting as it is to pack every pair of shorts that you own it is a pain having to stuff and unstuff your suitcase just trying to find your hairbrush. Trust me I been there. Jumping up and down on my suitcase trying to get it closed. Then I go on my trip and only where half of the things I brought. But then the rest of the trip I am having to go through the jumping up and down on my suitcase routine and it gets tiring. Pack what you need and what you may be important if needed.

Inspiring others to be MORE by living life with enthusiasm, seeing the beauty in simplicity, and adopting a generosity of spirit. My goal is that other college students and people who have a longing for a deeper meaning to their life will be inspired to become all they want to be through the lessormorgan movement. Hi, My name is Morgan Murray. My biggest aspiration is to become an inspirational speaker. I am a communciations major and Leadership minor at ECU. I love Chipotle, my fish Enrique, hiking, photography, writing, speaking, yoga, singing, and running.