New Hulu Original Series: The Handmaid’s Tale

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

Last semester, I read the book The Handmaid’s Tale for Women and Lit here at ECU and I absolutely loved it. The book explored women’s rights and how they have been, and could be treated in society and why they would be treated this way. In the book, Offred is a handmaid (which is basically a sex slave) for her Commander and must bear a child in order to keep her life. She endures constant anxiety and abuse from the men and women of higher positions around her and attempts to maintain a relationship with her best friend who happens to be a rebel. 

Now, after the book has been loved since the 1980s, Hulu is making the book into a Hulu Original mini series releasing on April 26th. Playing Offred will be our favorite, the one and only Elisabeth Moss who was previously in MadMen and Get Him to the Greek. Ofglen, who is one Offred’s only friends in the Handmaid community, is played by our very own Rory Gilmer (Alexis Bledel). The series is set to release in late April of this year and hopefully will be as awesome as the book was!

If you’re a feminist, or really if you value human rights at all, you will totally love this book and series! I am so excited about the series debuting this year and hope that it explores human rights in the same fantastic way that the book did (through gender, sex, societal, religious, and political perspectives). I highly recommend the book for anyone. 

I am currently a junior at ECU, majoring in Secondary English Education. I really just like to read and write.