Meet Katie Henderson: Panhellenic VP of Communications

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

Name: Katie Henderson.

Hometown: Marlton, New Jersey

Major: Elementary education major with a concentration in math

HC: What position do you hold on Panhellenic?

Katie: I am the VP of Communications for Panhellenic.

HC: What made you want to hold a leadership position?

Katie: I wanted to hold a leadership position on Panhellenic Executive board because I have always been involved in my own sorority and I thought it would be interesting to see sororities from a different view on campus than just my own chapter.

HC: What made you want to become the Vice President of Communications for Panhellenic?

Katie: For my own chapter I was the Public Relations chair and I loved being able to post about my sisters and our events on social media, which made me interested in becoming VP of Communications for panhellenic, since it had some of the same jobs within the position.  

How do you like your role as Panhellenic Vice President of Communications?

Katie: I like the role of VP of communications because it has introduced me to so many different people that I wouldn’t have been able to meet before.  I also love being on this side of panhellenic and seeing all the planning that goes into events, speakers, philanthropies, sisterhoods, etc. 

HC: What’s your favorite thing about ECU?

Katie: My favorite thing about ECU is that it is a big school with a small feel.  I always feel like there is someone that I know whenever I am walking on campus or just driving around town.  

HC: What’s your favorite part about Greek life at ECU?

Katie: My favorite part about the Greek Life at ECU is that the stereotypes about sororities and fraternities aren’t true.  Coming from New Jersey I was never really exposed to Greek Life and I didn’t really want to be apart of it.  However, I could not imagine what my college experience would have been like without being Greek at ECU.  

HC: What’s your favorite thing about your chapter? (Again, if you can’t answer this I understand)

Katie: My favorite part about my chapter is that even though there are over 100 girls in the chapter we all know each other and can always call on each other if we need one another.  

HC: If you had any advice for a younger member hoping to get involved in a leadership position within their chapter or Panhellenic, what would it be?

Katie: I would tell members that want to hold a position on panhellenic to absolutely do it.  It is a rare opportunity for members to see what goes behind the scenes of all the chapters on campus.  You really understand more about why sororities are important to the community and the actual reason people join them.  I learned a lot about myself and panhellenic through this position and I am so grateful that I had this opportunity.  

New Jersey raised, North Carolina crazed Oh, and I like Chipotle
Born and raised in Fayetteville, NC, but Ocean Isle Beach is closer to my heart. I'm an East Carolina University sophomore and a passionate English and Creative writing major.