This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

For most of us we go off to college with high hopes of fun filled years where we find out who we truly are and what we enjoy doing. It’s a time where you can be the person you’ve always wanted to become and find the friendships that really will last a lifetime.

As I am halfway done with college and happy with how I’ve done it so far, here is my college survival guide on how to make sure it really is the best four years of your life.

Get to know your professors So many people go through the motions of giong to class, doing their work and getting out. They don’t stop to take the time to introduce themselves to their professors. Getting to know my professors is one of my favorite things because you never know when they’ll be able to give you advice or just be there to have a good conversation. Most of the time they graduated with the same degree you’re getting so they know how to steer you in the right direction.

Get involved   Most of the best memories and friends don’t come from sitting in class, they come from the activities you’re involved in. Not only does it feel great to find something you’re passionate about and be involved in it but most of the friends you meet through these activities are the ones you actually have the move in common with.  

Get out of your comfort zone Everyone is more comfortable in their comfort zone. That’s why it is called your comfort zone. The greatest things happen though as soon as you step out of it. You realize you can do things you never thought you could, you meet new people and you grow as a person. The things that make you the most uncomfortable and scared are often the most rewarding.  

Don’t be afraid to have fun If we’re making the most of college academically and on campus, then everyone deserves a little fun too. Spend a Saturday night out with friends singing at the top of your lungs in a bar, go to the grab-a-date your friends are dragging you to. College is a time in your life when you can do it all, so go ahead and do as much as you can. We’re young once and it’s a time for fun, adventure and growth.

I'm just a northern girl living in a southern world. You've probably seen me giving a campus tour or distracting friends in the library.
Born and raised in Fayetteville, NC, but Ocean Isle Beach is closer to my heart. I'm an East Carolina University sophomore and a passionate English and Creative writing major.