A Letter to Myself at the Beginning of Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

Dear me,

Tonight you are back at home after finally completing your freshman year. Let me tell you, it was a rough one. You went in a little too cocky about your ability to adjust to the pace of college life. You thought, “I never study in high school, so I’m only going to have to work a little harder to make the same grades in college.” You were wrong. Today you found out that you passed you Spanish 1001 class with a 72, and you and your parents did a happy dance. Oh how things have changed.

You see, even though college wasn’t exactly what you thought it would be, you still learned a lot. For example, you are seriously contemplating a tattoo that says “C’s get degrees” (mom is not a fan). In highschool you knew the next step. You knew what was to come in every day of your week, sometimes even what your month would look like. Now, you wake up and hope you don’t forget to wear shoes (one time you left the room without them and almost missed your first class of the day). Your grades aren’t what they used to be, and that’s okay. In high school, you would’ve been shocked to have finished with a C in a class. Now, it is a way of life, and you’re okay with it, because even though your grades suck, you accomplished a lot.

For one, you’re actually a writer now (I know how cool!). This was something you weren’t planning to accomplish for a couple of years, and here you are writing this article. Somehow, you managed to find a website that perfectly fits your style and goals, and you were lucky enough for them to let you write (that’s honestly a pretty big deal). You didn’t join the type of sorority you thought you would, you joined one better than you could ever have imagined. It definitely fufills your love of volunteer work and gives you sisters you’ve gotten to know so well. Lastly, you finally found the courage to start a project or a club or a volunteer position that you really believe in (kudos to you).

I know standing at the beginning of freshman year, is daunting, but remember you’re a pirate, and we’re UNDAUNTED. This year challenged us freshman in so many ways. From personal relationships, all the way to how you approach school work (plot twist: you’ve decided it’s not the end of the world to miss a test, and get a 0, if you get to go to a gnarly John Mayer concert with your friends, believe me, I’m just as surprised as you are). Somehow, the friends you had before you went to college are all still your friends, and more amazingly than that, you’re closer than you ever could have imagined. I know you were worried about not making new friends, but you did, and they’re great too. So stop stressing (even though we both know you won’t) and relax. This year is going to fly by, and looking back you won’t believe you were ever that scared freshman.

With love,

Your Sophomore Self