This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

To one of my very best friends,

I know its completely different to live with a friend vs just being your friend, and not always in a good way, but my second year in college was a 180 from my first year. My second time around in the dorms, we both knew each other better than we had known our previous roommates, but I still didn’t know you all that well. you convinced me to take classes with you, and I am so glad I did because I don’t know how I would have made it through without you. 

You are most of the reason I survived my sophomore year. 

I’m not going to lie, I was a mess. I was just beginning to take classes for a brand new major that I was even sure I was going to like. I had just finished a semester of chemistry, which is why I changed my major in the first place from nursing to English ed, and I was still getting used to the excessive amounts of reading and writing that went into having a major in English. It was a whirlwind of learning experiences. But what really made the difference was always having a friend there. You were the first one to attempt to make me less freaked out when school got to much, and the first to go to bat for me over petty stuff. You always had my back, and I will always be grateful for you.

Thank you for listening to me when I ranted, or when I cried, or when I was excited about Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and you had no idea what I was talking about, but you pretended like you did for my sake. Thank you for making me laugh when I forgot that I knew how, and thank you for making me hang out with actual other humans. 

Thank you for helping me study Shakespeare and putting up with my antics when I dramatically read all the parts. Thank you for talking to me on the phone and just talking to me in general when I was bored or just when I wanted to talk. Thanks for putting up with all my weird moments. I don’t regret putting up with your sock monkeys for a minute.

Love,

Your second college roommate

I am currently a junior at ECU, majoring in Secondary English Education. I really just like to read and write.