This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

How do I come out to my super conservative family?

I have to admit this isn’t going to be easy no matter what I say, but I think you already know that. If you have any siblings I would try going to them first if they don’t already know. They’re usually easier to talk to than parents and then it’s like a trial run of sorts as to what you might say to your parents. Then when you do talk to your parents you can have them there as support for you (hopefully). If you don’t have siblings or they are just as conservative as your parents then try going to one parent first. No one ever wants to admit it but everyone is closer to one parent than the other. If you and your mom are BFFs then try and find time with just her. This way you only have to deal with the reaction and questions of one person compared to your whole family/both parents. Depending on how the one parent reacts you know what to expect from the other parent and if all goes well they can support you when you come out to the other parent. I hope this helped and everything goes well! No matter what happens remember there are people who love and care about you no matter your orientation.

I’m torn about changing majors. Should I just stick with my current major that works fine with the job I want one day, or change to one that I’m a lot more interested in, but will have to be at school for an extra year, maybe two? Is the extra time and money worth it?

That depends on what is more important to you. It sounds like you have to choose between the job you want or the major that you would actually enjoy. I think if you’re putting your time and money into something you’re interested in, it’s worth it. If the major you’re in right now you only chose because it could get you the job you want could end up becoming a problem if you don’t actually enjoy it. In my opinion, if you change to what you actually enjoy, even if that mean you won’t get the job you want, you’ll be much happier in the long run. I was always told growing up, “Find a job doing what you enjoy, and you will never have to work a day in your life”. I fully believe this and I think you should take this into consideration. Keep your current major and possibly end up being miserable, or change to something you’re interested in and be happy in any job you have in life, even if it’s not what you want now. Who knows, you may discover a new dream job you had no idea existed and love it just as much as what you want right now. I think the biggest thing you should think about is will the major you possibly change to also work with the job you want one day? At the end of the day that would be the best option but you need to realize that may not be possible.

If the loans and extra money is what is scaring you that’s okay and totally normal. Just remember you aren’t the only one in that boat. Another thing to consider money wise, are you going to end up regretting spending the money you are right now on a major you only feel “eh” about? Definitely talk to your parents and the other important people in your life and get their opinion. They actually know you and will be able to give better insight, just remember this is your life so you need to make sure you are happy. Get thoughts and opinions from other people because this is a decision you should make on your own since this affects you and no one else. Listen to your gut and your heart (as cheesy as that is) and I think you’ll figure out what path is best for you.