free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Get a Summer Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

Do you need a job for the summer? Never had a job and don’t know how to get one? Well no need to worry. I have some tips to help you obtain a job for the summer season.

1. Make a Resume

Wheather you’re applying to mcdonalds or a receptionist job a resume will show that you really want the job. It’s also convienant for the employer to have all your information in one place. There’s plenty of templates and resources online to help you build your resume.  

2. Try child care or babysitting

This summer I’m nannying two children 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. The nice thing about it is you can relax on the couch, go to the pool, and eat free food. Also there are no taxes, which if you’ve ever had a job you know it takes a lot out of your paycheck.

3. Dress appropriately to the interview

Employers really like when you dress nice. It really shows that you put forth the effort. For the child care job I got, I just went over to their house, but I wore a dress because  I wanted to show the parents that I was serious about the opportunity.

4. Don’t be picky

My first job was at firehouse subs.  After that I worked at the movie theaters for 2 years. You can’t be too picky about the jobs you apply for, especially because you only want seasonal work. Apply for everything you can. The job might not be glamorous but the paychecks will be.

5. Be patient

Waiting for a job to call you for an interview can be nervewracking. Most probably won’t call you, but that’s no reason to stop looking for work. Before I quit Firehouse Subs I looked for other jobs because I didn’t want to be without a paycheck. It took a while for anybody to call me, but it was worth the wait.

Finding seasonal work can be hard and time consuming, but once you get an interview you can really show why you’re a great candidate for the position. Remember these tips and good luck! 

Chloe Lanham is a Communication Studies major with a concentration in Public Advocacy and a minor in Journalism at UNC Charlotte. She has three cats and a yearning to serve under-represented peoples. Lanham has written for the ECU newspaper and the ECU chapter of Her Campus.