A Freshman’s Guide to Advising Week and Registration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

It’s that time of the year again! Advising week and registration for spring classes. It seems like just yesterday that I was registering for fall classes, and feeling excited about a new year at ECU. Time flies when you’re constantly studying! 

When I was a freshman, I didn’t know how important my advising sessions would become, but now I rely on them to keep me on track and make sure I am actually taking classes that matter for my major. Your advisor is someone who, firstly will give you your PIN so you can register, but they should also be an expert on the major that you’re going into. If they’re not the expert, they can definitely point you in the direction of someone who is. 

Going into your advising meeting, it’s super important to at least have an idea of which classes you should be taking and if you want to stay in your major or not. Having an idea of the calsses that you would like to take will help the meeting go by faster because your advisor won’t think that he or she needs to answer questions that you don’t have. The most important things that you should take away from your advising session is your PIN, and the date/time you get to register for classes. Your PIN will be what you type into Banner to allow you to register for spring semester classes, and you won’t be able to do that until your assigned date/time (which is done according to how many credit hours you have taken, the more you’ve taken, the sooner you get to register).

Really, that’s about all there is to advising and registration. You need to know a round about what classes you should try to take for spring semester (you can always do a google search for ECU Undergraduate Catalog, and then find your major through the catalog to see which classes you should take). You should also get your PIN/the date/time of your registration, plus your advisor should give you a detailed guide as to which classes to take in addition to your general idea. Happy Registration!

I am currently a junior at ECU, majoring in Secondary English Education. I really just like to read and write.