Five Vegetarian/ Vegan Restaurants to Visit in New Orleans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

Over spring break, I went down south to the warm humid state of Louisiana. As soon as we stepped onto the streets of New Orleans, I immediently realized how different the culture was from what I was used to. One of the biggest differences was the food served. Being a vegetarian can be a little difficult when adventuring into a new city that has many seafood options. Here are some staples for New Orleans’ cuisine and some fun places you should try that include vegetarian and vegan options.

1.) The Gazebo Cafe 

The muffuletta spread is an Italian dish loaded with green olives and red peppers and it is absolutely delicious. I could have bought thirty jars of it home with me if it would have fit in my suitcase. While there are many places you can get a muffuletta at several places throughout New Orleans, but I chowed down on mine at the Gazebo Cafe which had a live jazz band performing in the background.

2.) Antoine’s Restaurant 

Antoine’s is one of the oldest restaurants in New Orleans and they are still making unique savory dishes. Even though this restaurant is primarily seafood, there are some vegetarian/ vegan options such as the numerous salad options. The pommes de terre soufflés are stuffed potatoes that are quite delectable, and espinards sauce creme is a vegetarian casserole that is equally yummy.

3.)NOLA

On one of the last nights of our trip, we ventured out to this fancy restaurant to be treated and fed like royalty. An elevator took us to our seats and the waiters quickly pulled our chairs out for us so we could sit down. Needless to say the atmosphere was charming and elegant. I ordered the vegetarian medley and the butternut squash salad. Both were absolutely mouthwatering. For desert I ordered the creme brûlée. Which was not vegan, but they did have a vegan option of sorbet. I just really wanted to try the creme brûlée. After I got two bites into it I knew it was a great choice.

4.) Remoulade 

Jambalaya is everywhere is New Orleans. Most places who served jambalaya were willing to take the meat out of it for me. They might look a little confused when you order the shrimp jambalya without shrimp, but it will be totally worth it. Usually Jambalya has onions, celery, bell peppers, and of course rice, but every place you go serves it differently. No one can eat the make the same jambalaya twice. Definitely a must try for New Orleans.

5.) The Heart Cafe 

I found this gem at the French Market one day while we were strolling through, and I came back three times afterwards. If you are looking for vegan food, this is the place to find it.Not to mention the service was amazing. The workers are friendly and helpful. They even suggested other vegan/vegetarian restaurants to me in the area. The vegan gumbo was spectacularly authentic, and I was so happy to finally get to dive into the New Orleans traditional dish.  I came back the next day for some black bean soup, which was equally good not to mention the sweet vegan treats they offered.

6.) Cafe Du Monde

It really would not be a trip to New Orleans without a venture to Cafe Du Monde to grab some biengets and chicory coffee. Even though beignets are a doughy vegetarian sweet treat perfectly paired with the dark taste of chicory coffee. The two together are truly a match made in heaven. I bought so much chicory coffee to bring home with me, but it is not the same drinking it at home as it is sitting in Cafe Du Monde, listening to jazz, and munching on some beignets.

7.) The Green Goddess 

The Green Goddess is heaven for a vegan. The menu is clearly marked what food items are specifically vegan and vegetarian. There  are even some creole style dishes offered. It is a great way to get a vegan taste of New Orleans.

8.) El Gato Negro 

At first I was hesitant of going to a Mexican restaurant in New Orleans. However, even typical Spanish dishes here seemed to have a New Orleans twist. They have several vegan and vegetarian option, such as the vegetarian fajitas and salad with sautéed veggies. I also loved that the decor incorporated New Orleans theme, creating a cultural and exciting environment for all those eating there.

Inspiring others to be MORE by living life with enthusiasm, seeing the beauty in simplicity, and adopting a generosity of spirit. My goal is that other college students and people who have a longing for a deeper meaning to their life will be inspired to become all they want to be through the lessormorgan movement. Hi, My name is Morgan Murray. My biggest aspiration is to become an inspirational speaker. I am a communciations major and Leadership minor at ECU. I love Chipotle, my fish Enrique, hiking, photography, writing, speaking, yoga, singing, and running.