To the Boy Who Broke My Best Friends Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

Dear Poo-head,

That may seem a little aggressive, but let’s be honest, you’ve been a bit of a poo-head lately. Anyways, let’s have a chat. First of all, I want you to know that you’ve thrown away something that is so vibrant and beautiful, that you should feel stupid. Though she may not feel this way yet, it is 100% your loss. She’s awesome. Seecondly, part of me really wants to be mad at you for the way you’ve treated her. We both know how much she cared about you, and for you to treat her the way you have been has been really terrible on your part. She deserved better.

It’s important to know that as much as I wish she would, she can’t seem to hate you. I guess that shows that’s she’s the bigger person, but I have enough anger for the both of us. You have made her feel small, unlovable, and broken. She’s having to rebuild what she thought her life was going to look like. To pretend like you weren’t the cause of your breakup is careless. 

You see, I believe that you’re supposed to learn from your past relationships, and become better. You have done the opposite. Not only do you deny how great your relationship once was, you refuse to learn from the fact that you are the reason the two of you broke up. If hadn’t stopped caring about her and wouldn’t have started taking her for granted she would still be with you. We both know that you didn’t put a lot of effort into the relationship.

Lastly, I want to say thank you. Thank you for helping my best friend realize that she deserves better. Thank you for showing her what she doesn’t want from her significant other. Thank you for stopping to care about her now, instead of waitng a few more years. Thank you for making her realize how strong she actually is. I think she would’ve realized these things with or without you. However, your assistance in showing her all of these amazing qualities, that all of her friends already knew she had, cannot be ignored.

I sincerely hope that one day you’re happy. But I also hope that you never forget what you let get away.