A Beginners Guide to Essential Oils Part 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

Okay so now that we know what the heck essential oils do, let’s get to the specifics of what oil works best for what symptom. Some of these you have probably heard of before, but some of them you hopefully haven’t heard of and then you’ll learn something today!

Sleep/peace: Lavender

Lavender is so popular it’s almost stupid, but it got its popularity because it works so well!! It has a calming effect that can help you fall asleep a little easier.

Wake up/energy: lemon grass, peppermint

Both lemongrass and peppermint have a sharp smell to them, lemon grass being warmer and peppermint being cooler. So whichever one you decide to use depends on what kind of scent attracts you, but either way, these scents will help you wake up in the mornings!

Bad mood: lemon

You know why most cleaning supplies smell like lemons? That’s because we associate clean and happy with the smell!! This has been shown to lift moods

Sore muscles: Cinnamon

This one is GREAT for if you exercise a lot and don’t want to have to take a bunch of ibuprofen to not be in pain after a hard workout. Why? I can’t tell you but I can tell you that it works!!

Depression/hormone swings: Sage

Sage has been shown to help hormones balance out! If you feel like your period has you on an emotional roller coaster or your depression is really being a jerk one day, I would recommend putting some sage oil in your diffuser!

Stuffy nose: Eucalyptus

Eucalyptus is that super strong smell that is in vaporub! It is great for clearing airways and making a room smell a lot cleaner than it might actually be

Hi! I'm Rachel, a freshman intended nursing major at ECU! Am I the most elequent speaker? Not really. Do I have my life together at all times? Aboslutely not. But in my 18 years on this planet, I have figured out a couple things. Hopefully I can make your day a little bit brighter after reading my stuff!