Are Essential Oils Worth the Hype?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

Is it just me, or does everyone have an oil diffuser these days? I am one of those who have recently hopped on the essential oil train lately, and I have some final thoughts on if it’s actually worth the money.

Short answer: yes, if you want it to be.

Long answer: So there is a theory in psychology that sometimes we convince ourselves that something is true/fact because we want it to be, no matter if it is actually true or not. I think this theory applies to essential oils. I find them to work because I want them to and I am open to the idea. I find that when I use my little lavender roll on, I swear I can feel my muscles relax. I do think that putting peppermint in my diffuser wakes me up and helps me focus. However, I have made my dad use it for his migraines and he reluctantly admitted it did make a change. He thinks its very “hippie” and “just made him smell like a girl”, but then went back for more multiple times that night so who really wins. So do they work? Yes. Will we ever determine if they genuinely work or if it is just us wanting them to? Probably not.

So now that we have determined that they do in fact work, now we need to determine if they are worth your money. The average diffuser goes for about $30, and the actual oils go for anywhere from $8-$20 an oil. So starting out is a pretty major purchase, considering you probably need 3-4 oils, but I believe that it is 100% worth it.

I use lavender in my diffuser and my roll-on for when I need to relax/do my nightly yoga, and after a couple weeks of this, I am thoroughly convinced that it has helped me go to sleep so much quicker! I also get debilitating migraines probably about once a week from my sinuses. I put lemongrass in my diffuser when that happens and I believe that it helps me recover a little quicker. I really would recommend trying them if you have something you deal with every day and haven’t been able to fix with medicine like insomnia or migraines!!

Hi! I'm Rachel, a freshman intended nursing major at ECU! Am I the most elequent speaker? Not really. Do I have my life together at all times? Aboslutely not. But in my 18 years on this planet, I have figured out a couple things. Hopefully I can make your day a little bit brighter after reading my stuff!