7 Reasons Why Going to Disney World in College is Necessary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

1. Roller coasters

If any of you were like me as a child, roller coasters gave you a stomachache just thinking about them. Upside down and sideways are not directions we, as humans, are naturally supposed to go by choice. But as we grow up, thrill rides become more of a…well, thrill! Roller coasters are now my favorite part of all theme parks, but especially Disney’s. Unlike most theme parks, Disney wants you to keep your eyes open. Along with the fast ride and amazing twists and turns, you get an entertaining show at the Rockin’ Roller Coaster, an out-of-this-world tour through the galaxy on Space Mountain, and a near-death experience with an angry Yeti in Expedition Everest. These are moments you don’t remember or didn’t experience as a kid, and trust me; it’s totally worth it.

2.  Shopping

Rides are not the only form of entertainment in Disney. Epcot, a less kid-focused park, is one of the most interesting parks to shop in. Every country has a shopping area with items that are culturally unique. Fun fact: Japan even has large aquariums with oysters in them. Providing you pay for it, a very animated Disney “Cast Member” digs it out for you can cuts it open to reveal a beautiful pearl. Little experiences like this can lead to amazing souvenirs that aren’t your typical Disney merchandise (like Mickey Ears). Hollywood Studios is also a shopping oasis if you’re looking for vintage Disney. As for the princess fans, Fantasy Land in Magic Kingdom has a shop for almost every princess. Don’t worry, when your energy runs out from all this shopping, there is a Starbucks located in every park that sell collectable coffee mugs. Disney even goes above and beyond by designing their own official Disney Starbucks cups.

3.  Food Exploration

If you’re feeling brave, Epcot has food available from 11 different countries. I highly recommend Morocco if you want to try something new, but if not stop through America and get the famous turkey legs (I promise it’s worth the $11.45 that you’ll pay for it). They have classic New Orleans cuisine ranging from gumbo to Beignets at Port Orleans, all the way to Polynesian where you can join Lilo and Stitch in an authentic Hawaiian experience in both atmosphere and food. Caramel fondue with pineapple is just one of many of their sweet treats. More important than good food, going to Disney in college also allows one more perk: Alcohol. Being 21 in Disney World is perfect. Mexico in Epcot has a Margarita stand, Italy has a wine cellar, and beer is available in almost every food cart.

4.  Instagram

As if Disney wasn’t perfect enough, it even offers the most Instagram-worthy pictures than any other location. Throw up your sorority symbol in front of Cinderella’s castle, buying monogrammed Mickey ears to match your best friend and taking a twin photo, pose with your favorite characters, or, (my personal favorite), document your facial reaction on the Tower of Terror in Hollywood Studios! Anywhere you go, you’ll be able to capture cool photos that won’t even need editing. 

5.  Disney College Program

From serving margaritas in Epcot’s Mexico, to taking photos for families at the parks, the Disney College Program is an amazing way to spend a summer in Orlando while gaining amazing work experiences and even class credits. If you are very animated and happy, you may even be able to become a Disney Princess and interact with the guests!

6.  Dole Whip

Before my recent trip to Disney World, I had never even heard of a Dole Whip, but now I feel like my life has begun anew. This ice cream, sorbet, sherbert combination is the top selling food item in all of Disney World. I will never visit Disney World again without indulging in this sweet treat. It can be found in Animal Kingdom and also in Adventure Land next to the Enchanted Tiki Room. The classic pineapple Dole Whip is amazing, but it also comes in an orange flavor. You can also order it drowning in pineapple juice, or (during the Food and Wine Festival) floating in rum. It is the perfect snack to have during the Disney Wishes fireworks show at the end of the day!

7.  Reliving Your Childhood

No matter how old you are, you will always be able to find enjoyment in Disney World. The movies and characters that we spent most of our childhood enjoying come to life along with new experiences in Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, and Epcot. There is no age limit to Disney World, you don’t have to be a child to have an incredible time. It’s not called the happiest place on earth for nothing. I know for sure I will still be wheeling myself through all four parks as an 80-year-old woman, making new traditions with my family each year. There is something to do and enjoy for every age level, especially for college kids.

Born and raised in Fayetteville, NC, but Ocean Isle Beach is closer to my heart. I'm an East Carolina University sophomore and a passionate English and Creative writing major.