The 5 Best Books I read in 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

I had a bit of a bad reading year. While that sucks personally, it means the books that I did read were extra good (at least in my opinion). So I decided to compose a list of the best five books I read in 2016. Not all of these books came out in 2016, and actually a couple are classics, but I stil love them. I’ve rated these books on a 10 point scale to make it easier to understand how much I liked each of them. So without further a due, here’s the list in no particular order.

1. To Kill A Mockingbird

This book is a classic for a reason. It is breathtakingly beautiful, and very well penned. If you haven’t read it, I highly recommend. You will feel things that you might never have felt or even considered. Atticus will become your hero, Jem will be your older brother, and you will wish you are best friends with Scout. Not to mention all of the EXTREMELY important messages this books eloquently delivers. 10 out 10 would recommend.

2. The Vampire Acadmey series

Is it cheating if I put a series? No? Good. This series is another one of the few series I actually read and finished this year. I bought them for my mom as a birthday gift. She convinced me that I had to read them, so I did. And they were AMAZING! You will fall in love with Dimitri and Rose, not to much the other characters. The plot is gripping and the characters become your friends. No spoilers, but I will say this series made me cry more than once. You might think you know where the plot is going, but I promise you do not! 8 out of 10, would recommend. 

3. Lady Midnight

Cassandra Clare is by far one of my favorite authors. If you haven’t read her other series (The Mortal Instruments, The Infernal Devices, The Bane Chronicles, Tales from the Shadowhunter Accademy) I HIGHLY recommend! I would suggest that you read all of the other series before you read this one, just so you’re more involved with characters. Also all of the books are set in the same world, just at different time periods, different places, and different characters. Clare is a phenominal writer, so you could read this series alone, but I promise you want to get to know all of her characters.  This books was amazing, but I expect nothing less from my fave author. 9 out of 10, would recommend (only after you read everything else).

4. All the Light We Cannot See

This books for anyone that likes to read historical fiction. It is dual point of view. One of the characters is a blind French girl, and the other is a German boy. They are both children at the beginning of the book and you follow their groth throughout the book. This book is set during Nazi Germany and follows the spread of Nazism through Europe. I’m not going to say anything else about this book because you NEED to read it. It didn’t win a Pulitzer Prize for nothing. 10 out of 10, would recommend.

5. Chasers of the Light

This is a book of poems for all my poetry loving people. Honestly though, even if you don’t like poems these are incredible to read. Gregson writes in free verse most of the time, and all of these poems in this particuar books are writen on a typewriter and then put into the book. This books also includes some incredible photography. If you’re a Pinterest savy person that like to read quotes and things on there, then I’m sure you’ve seen some of his work. This books is defintely worth the read, and is a beautiful book to keep on your shelf (because let’s admit it, we all have bookshelf goals). 8 out of 10, would recommend.