10 Reasons Why It’s Great to Be a Communication Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

ECU has a really strong program for Communications and I can’t imagine myself being a part of a better academic community. I look forward to my furture and what studying Communications will bring to my life and what oppurtunities are in store. Here’s a few reasons why it’s such a great subject to devote your academic career to.

1.) You no longer have to do math 

After one class freshman year you are done with math forever. No more quadratic formulas for you. No more calculators or graphing sheets. If you are a communication major you probably hate math as much as I do. Well you are in luck. Now you get to take classes you are truly interested in and that apply to everyday life. 

2.) You are the social butterfly of your group 

You are the chatty outgoing one in your group.In practically every group you are in you are typically the one who is the speaker of the group. Even if it is for a biology class and you don’t know much about the subject somehow you always get roped into being the leader. 

3.) You are a social media expert 

Your social media pages are on fire. Your friends admire it and ask for your advice about vamping up their social media pages. You may have an edgy blog, vlog, tumbler or something else that defiantly sets you apart from your other friends. 

4.) You are a persuasive speaker 

You can convince anyone to go to a party, to the gym, or even to dinner. You probably have a way with words and can talk your way out of most situations. Sometimes you don’t know what you are going to say then all of the sudden the words out come the fluently and prophetically. 

5.) There are so many jobs you can do after you graduate 

There are so many things I want to do with my life. With a communication degree I can do so many jobs that are completely different. 

• Journalism
  • Law
  • Television
  • International relations
  • Sociology
  • Advertising
  • Film
  • Music production
  • Human resources
  • Social work
  • Education
  • Photography
  • Public Relations
  • Publishing
  • Acting

6.) Your professors are great at communicating with students

Most of my professor are relational people. They love talking and communicating effectively. For this reason, you will probably not be in class wondering what they are talking about and more often than not classes are entertaining. Because after all being an effective speaker and communicator is all about captivating an audience. Usually professors genuinely care about you and by the end of the semester they know you by name.

7.) You learn stuff in class that helps you understand your own relationships better

You don’t mean to analyse your friends, but you can’t help but recall the theories you learned in class to better explain why their behavior is the way it is.

8.) Your professors encourage talking in class 

This is especially true in my interpersonal communication class. We are encouraged to speak up and share our opinions even if they are wrong. I love the freedom we are given to speak in class because it gives me the chance to practice my communication skills. 

9.) It is a mixing pot of several different majors 

There are some psychology theories and sociology theories thrown into the mix of communication. In order to be able to communicate well with other people we need to be able to understand people well. 

10.) You love your major and wouldn’t want to be anywhere else 

For those who fell in love with communication as I have, you know all too well that there is no other place you would rather be. The more classes I have taken the deeper I have realized I am exactly where I am supposed to be. 

Inspiring others to be MORE by living life with enthusiasm, seeing the beauty in simplicity, and adopting a generosity of spirit. My goal is that other college students and people who have a longing for a deeper meaning to their life will be inspired to become all they want to be through the lessormorgan movement. Hi, My name is Morgan Murray. My biggest aspiration is to become an inspirational speaker. I am a communciations major and Leadership minor at ECU. I love Chipotle, my fish Enrique, hiking, photography, writing, speaking, yoga, singing, and running.