10 Must See Love Stories For The Romantic Soul

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

We romantic souls all know the mood where we are anxious to watch a good movie but none come to mind. Well, to aid in your decision making process, here is a list of 10 romantic films that you absolutely must see!

Spoiler: If you don’t want to know even small details about the following movies, don’t continue reading! 

Phantom of the Opera (2004)

So, I’m starting off with my personal favorite. There is nothing I don’t love about this story…besides the fact that there are two men and one woman, so only one man can get the girl. If you love musicals and steamy romances you will absolutely fall for this movie. It’s thrilling, it’s passionate, and the music will be stuck in your head for days. For every girl who is looking for a romantic film to immerse in, “all I ask of you” is to give this movie a go. You won’t be sorry. 

Oklahoma! (1955)

Another romantic musical that is sure to have you hooked. Ever wonder what jealousy between a cowboy and a ranch hand looked like back in the time of the ol’ west? Me neither, but once you turn this movie on you won’t know why you didn’t turn it on sooner. This movie truly captures the heart of the western frontier and you follow a hopeless romantic trying to win the heart of his true love. A must see for any girl looking for an old timey romance.

Far and Away (1992)

Don’t want to stray away from Oklahoma history? Well I’ve got you covered! What do the Oklahoma Land Rush of 1893, two Irish people, and boxing have in common? Guess you should rush and turn this film on to find out!

Titanic (1997)

Have you had enough Oklahoma history, but still want history? You might want to turn this one on pronto, as long as you have 3 hours to spare! Because I promise, once you start this film, you won’t want to turn it off. A really enjoyable tale of romance sadly mixed with one of history’s most well known disasters.

Dirty Dancing (1987)

If you’re one of the few who hasn’t seen this movie yet, you best get a move (or a groove) on. Summer vacation, a girl just trying to help someone out, and a strong but gentle dance instructor creates the perfect mix for a summertime romance. Nobody puts this movie in the corner (you’ll understand once you watch the film). Check it out and be ready to fall in love with love again.

Ghost (1990)

This is the perfect follow up movie in case you fell in love with Patrick Swayze in Dirty Dancing. Unlike Dirty Dancing, however, the storyline is a bit grimmer (hence the title of the movie). If you’re looking for a movie about true love in its purest form and how it never dies, pick up that box of tissues and put your brave face on. This movie is worth the tears.

P.S. I Love You (2007)

While you’ve got that box of tissues out, you might as well move on (literally…move on) to this next romance! This movie actually starts off with the saddest part of the plotline. Gerry, the love of Holly’s life, is dead. How will she move on? If you want to experience how love can always find a way, even if that means having to move on from the love of your life, this film is for you. P.S. You won’t regret it.

Sleepless in Seattle (1993)

If P.S. I Love You was too sad for your liking, it’s time to turn on this next movie! Sleepless in Seattle, like P.S. I Love You, deals with someone mourning the loss of their significant other. However, the main character’s son in this movie comes to his dad’s rescue and proves that love is always out there waiting for you. You just have to be open to it.

An Officer and a Gentleman (1982)

If you want to see something a little different, maybe not as centered on a romantic plotline as the others, then this one’s for you. This movie follows young Richard Gere as he hurdles over countless obstacles at the Aviation Officer Candidate School for the U.S. Navy. Mix a moody young man with a girl willing to do anything (…anything) to get out of her crummy factory job and what do you get? If you want to see how this love story ends, you’ll just have to check it out for yourself!

The Notebook (2004)

If you haven’t seen this one yet, what are you even watching? True love will always find a way no matter what paths we choose to take. If you want a reminder of this as well as the fact that love, realistically, isn’t always smiles and roses, then you better put down your notebook (seriously, set your schoolwork aside), and turn this on immediately! 

Writing. Living. Loving. Laughing. Eating.