This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECSU chapter.
Legends of fear – shelton, ct

Legends of Fear is an attraction that has been operating for 27 years on a historic family farm. They are open every Friday through Sunday in October. Their thrills include a haunted hayride and a hallow trail, both full of scares and fun. The hayride is a 30-minute ride on a tractor-pulled wagon. The Hollow Trail consists of four attractions: Melon Head Revenge Trail – full of cannibalistic beings, Haunted Hemlock Manor – a mortuary, Pine Hills Parish – a sinner’s nightmare, a house of worship, and a Funhouse of Fear – a carnival freakshow. On Oct. 15, 22, and the 26 they are only operating the trail. The hayride and trail tickets are $32 each, or a combo ticket can be bought for $60. They also offer group rates and military/student discounts. I will also note that children under 12 are not allowed on the Hallow Trail.

P.S. This is my favorite place to go!

Trail of Terror – Wallingford, ct

The Trail of Terror has been a well-known attraction for 29 years. It began as a family-run haunted house, but has since expanded to a four-acre area and 30 different scenes, with proceeds going to local charities. The trail is changed every summer for a new experience every year. They also have a new attraction this year called ‘The Harvest’. It is set in the town of Central Valley inhabited by a creature known as ‘The Harvester’. They are open Friday through Sunday with all tickets being sold online. Tickets are $25 or $40 for a VIP pass, and group prices are available for groups of 30+.

Phantom Fall Fest – Bristol, Ct

Phantom Fall Fest has replaced the long-known Haunted Graveyard at Lake Compounce since the Covid pandemic. With four haunts and ‘scare zones’, a whole new experience is in store for the park’s guests, with a highlighted attraction named ‘mALICE in Wonderland 3D’. With a Phantom Fall Fest admission pass, you have all day park access and access to all of the haunts for $60 (pssst…If you go online, you’ll find a 50% off deal). Don’t forget you’ll need money for parking!

The Dark Manor – Baltic, Ct

The Dark Manor is an outdoor haunted trail ready for anyone willing to join their frights. They have been in operation for 19 years and are ready for their next set of victims (I mean guests). They are open every Friday through Sunday throughout October, with general admission being $22. The Dark Manor even offers a couple of special events. On Oct. 18 and Oct. 25 called ‘No-Scare Night’ from 7-9 p.m., you get all the same attractions and experience, just without actors jumping out at you, which is perfect for those with kids (and did I mention only $15 a ticket!). They also offer extra dates on Thursday, Oct. 19, and Oct. 26 and are offering a $5 student discount for anyone with a student ID. Last but not least, they offer a ‘Low Scare Matinee’, on Saturdays and Sundays from 12-5 p.m., for a daytime, actor-free, experience for $12.

The Forsaken Lands – Goshen, Ct

The Forsaken Lands are a new attraction this year at Action Wildlife in Goshen. They are full of scares and thrills on a long-forgotten farm. They are operational every Friday through Sunday throughout October, with special events on Oct. 13 and Nov. 4. For Friday the 13 you can find the lands being haunted by your favorite horror icons, while Nov. 4 is a complete blackout. This means you can do your walkthrough in complete darkness! General admission tickets are $27.50, and fast pass tickets are $37.50. The Forsaken Lands recommends buying tickets online because limited tickets are sold in person each night. Parking is $6. Kids under 13 are not recommended and anyone under 15 must be accompanied by someone over 18.

Scarrybrooke Park – New Milford, Ct

Harrybrooke Park in New Milford is transformed each year for the haunting season. Scarrybrooke is opening for year 8 and is known to be the longest trail in Connecticut. All the proceeds made during Scarrybrooke’s opening go back to the park, their local sponsors, and other local community groups. It is also entirely volunteer run! They’re operational on Oct. 13, 14, 20, and 21 from 6-10 p.m. General admission is $30, fast pass is $45, and if tickets are bought online they are $5 cheaper.

Preston Farms Corn Maze – Preston, Ct

If you’re looking for something for the family this is just the thing for you! The Preston Farms corn maze has been open since 2000 and is now open daily from now until Nov. 12 and has no scares. With 16 stamping stations, a 5-mile trek, and two hours’ worth the fun. Be sure to check their daily hours on the website. They also offer flashlight mazes on Fridays and Saturdays from Sunset-9:30. Children 3 and under enter for free, ages 4-9 for $6, and ages 10 and up for $11.

Nightmare Acres – South Windsor, Ct

Nightmare Acres is a truly terrifying attraction in the woods of South Windsor. They claim they will test your courage and leave you on the edge of your sanity. They also give a disclaimer to enter at your own risk. They are open every Friday through Sunday with general admission tickets being $35, fast pass tickets being $45, and instant access tickets being $60 (recommended you buy online). They also have a special on their last operation date on Nov. 4, a touch night for $30. (That means the actors will be able to touch you during your time at the attraction!)

Fright Haven – Stratford, Ct

Fright Haven is a 20,000-square-foot indoor attraction. There is no age restriction, however, they do remark that you should think of your child’s maturity level when deciding to bring them here, as it is full of gore and real scares. They are open every Friday through Sunday in October, with extra dates on Oct. 26 and 31! Tickets are $25 on Sundays and on Oct. 26 and 31, and $30 on Fridays and Saturdays. They have two upgrades available, a $15 fast pass or a $20 front-of-the-line pass.

Nightmare on Main – Willimantic, Ct

Calling all Eastern students! If you feel left out this year, here’s something local for you. Nightmare on Main is a guided tour with actors portraying the history of Halloween. This year’s theme is “All Hallows Eve – Creeping Through Time”. They are open on Oct. 13, 14, 20, and 21 from 7-10 p.m. At only $15 a ticket, it’s perfect for students looking for a little something for the season.

My name is Rebecca but I go by Becca. I’m a Junior at Eastern Connecticut State University, majoring in Communications with an interest in radio broadcasting. I’m a fan of horror movies, romance books, and trying new foods. I'm also a dog/cat mom of 4. I'm super into tattoos, piercings, and gaming.