This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Valentine’s Day Do’s and Don’ts

Boys

There is so much you can and should do for that special girl you’ve had your eyes on for so long, but there are don’ts that you should stay away from. It doesn’t matter whether she’s your girlfriend or girl you’ve been sorta seeing or someone you’ve had your eyes on, no matter what a girl tells you she always wants to be treated special on Valentine’s Day. You don’t have to go crazy if you’re too nervous about freaking her out or giving her the wrong message. Here’s a couple helpful tips to get you through.

·        A simple flower is always the way to go. It doesn’t have to be a rose, but definitely don’t go for a carnation. Sunflowers and tulips are always a hit.

·        Candy. That’s a definite in any girl’s vocabulary! If you’re not serious, a large Hershey kiss will definitely do, but if you’re serious then get the heart shaped box!

·        Another non-serious gift is a teddy bear of some sort or a stuffed animal of her favorite animal. It’ll show you care and its’ cute.

·         A date is the most important of all! Whether serious or not it’s definitely a nice treat and shows you care.

·        Also for your girlfriend, or girl you’re with, listen to them!!! They drop hints for a month leading up to it! That’ll for sure make them happy.

Girls

Alright now girls it’s not all up the guys to do the whole Valentine’s Day event. You’ve got to put some effort in as well. Even though you don’t have to get him flowers and teddy bears you can still muster a few things up to catch his attention if you want it, or give your man the gift to show him how much you care as well. Here’s a few tips.

·        CANDY!!! They love it and they want it!

·        Buying them food will make them more than happy.

·        If they buy you dinner, get them desert, popcorn at the movie, or a gift card to chipotle. Nothing personal but they’ll love you for it.

·        If it’s for your special guy, get him something personal because he will too. Whether it’s a nice wallet, necklace or something he has always wanted or hinted at.

Even if you can’t afford a lot there are still things you can do to make your Valentine’s Day memorable with that special someone you want to spend it with. Make something, cook them dinner, or stay in for a movie together alone. Just being with them and doing something different and thoughtful will make all the difference. Hopefully you get the girl or guy of your dreams if that is your goal. If that isn’t, grab the girls for a fun dinner out and go to see Fifty Shades of Grey. ;) Guys just go do what makes you happy and don’t care!