September in St. Pete: The 5 Things You Have To Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

As we all know, September is a time of fresh beginnings. Full of new classes, new fashion and the inevitable time when you look at the calendar and think, “Where the hell has the year gone?” September is a time to reflect on how far you’ve come and where you’re headed, which is why I have compiled a complete list of five things you have to do before the month is over. So bust out your Green Day “Wake Me Up When September Ends” and start checking off the following:

1. Go for a run

Sure, September marks the beginning of fall for every state above the panhandle, but in Florida, the few degree drop in temperature means it’s perfect weather for running. And in September, there are a few 5K runs in the St. Petersburg area that are the perfect way to stay in shape. Check out the 5K Fun Run Around the Pier or the 5th Annual OktoBEERfest 5K run, both on September 29th. Just don’t run both at the same time.

2. Enjoy the beach

I hate to warn you, but fall is coming. While it’s still beach-going weather well into November, the Gulf waters will surely get too cold for even our New England brethren come mid-October. So pack up your sunscreen, shades and a fresh Eckerd towel and hit the beaches. Remember, returning students, that the toll is now a whopping 75 cents each way, so bring along a few extra quarters! (After all, laundry can wait, right?)

3. Watch the 1987 classic “September”

Who doesn’t love this Woody Allen classic? Plot twists and turns, love affairs gone wrong and the excellent acting of Denholm Elliott and Dianne Wiest make this 1987 film something you can’t miss during the month that shares its name. You can even find it now to watch on Netflix so you don’t have to leave the comfort of your Beta room. Just invite over a bunch of friends, pop some popcorn in your microwave and cuddle up on your twin XL. It’s going to be a fun night!

4. September 29th is Free Museum Day

For most of us, it’s been ages since our Autumn Term, which means we haven’t been to on of St. Pete’s famous museums for a long while. Mark your calendars for Saturday, Sept. 29th, and receive free admission to one of St. Petersburg’s many cultural institutions. This is a perfect way to check out the cool Chihuly exhibit, located on Beach Drive downtown, which boasts one of the largest collections of the famous American glass sculptor.

5. Don’t forget your friends and family back home

We all know Eckerd is great, but don’t forget your loved ones who have to deal with the constantly dropping temperatures at home. Give them a call, Skype them or even send them a letter. They’ll appreciate that you’re thinking of them and probably won’t overgrow with jealousy since you’re lounging at the beach in mid-September.

Some girls have all the fun; Devon Elizabeth Williams happens to be one of them. A carb loving, liberal hailing from Lakeville, Massachusetts, Devon is a senior at Eckerd College in Saint Petersburg, Florida pursuing a  major in Political Science with a double minor in Journalism and International Relations. After spending January 2011 in an intensive Winter Term program at the United Nations in New York, Devon realized that taking over the world will be more difficult than anticipated, but nothing that a vivacious red head in stilettos can’t handle. In her free time Devon is a bartending beauty queen who has a soft spot for blueberry pie, Broadway and the scheming antics of Blair Waldorf. When she’s not paddle boarding at the waterfront or laying out on Eckerd’s private South Beach you can find Devon singing in the alto section of the concert choir. At the end of the day Devon is thankful for Newport, RI, her family, Sadie the black lab, Paul Mitchell, her girlfriends, Cheetah, and rhinestones.