Professor Adam Guerin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Professor Guerin

If you are interested in the French Revolution or really just history in general, you should look into taking one of Professor Adam Guerin’s classes.  Graduating from the University of California, Irvine with a Ph.D. in French Colonial History, he is the certainly the history guru.  His research interests are stationed in Morocco.  Currently his “work on rural capitalism in Morocco has been stimulating.”  His interests in Morocco cover colonial law, ethnography, anti-colonial revolt, and the environment.  In the past, his “research working with the Tiffany Amber-Thiessen Consortium was probably the most groundbreaking, although most of our findings were immediately classified as state secrets by the government of Switzerland.” Guerin’s newest work is a “book manuscript that brings together [his] interests in rural modernization, the environment, and anti-colonial revolt in Morocco.”

Guerin always knew he wanted to be a professor.  He tells me, “I developed my passion for academe in utero.”  His favorite part of his job as a professor is “licking the condensation from the interior walls of the Ivory Tower-Prison.”  I have no clue what that means, so someone should fill me in on its meaning. His advice to students:  “Read widely and never trust anyone over thirty.” 

The last book Professor Guerin read (not for work) was Foucault, Marxism and History by Mark Poster.  What a history buff!  His love for the French culture and history extends even farther into his home life.  When asked what he always has in his refrigerator, he replied Foie Gras.  For those of you who do not know what this is, it is the liver of a duck (or goose) that has been fattened.  It is also known as a delicacy in France! 

Professor Guerin really encompasses a true history buff and is very knowledgeable in the field.  If you are interested in history too, you should definitely look into taking one of his classes!!