Mysterious Australian Species Perplex Scientists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Twenty-five years after its discovery on a cruise, Dendrogramma enigmatical is finally being scientifically described. This odd species, found in the deep sea between the coasts of Australia and Tasmania does not seem to fit into any of the current animalia classifications. The animal is translucent, mushroom-shaped, and only up to two centimeters in length. They are believed to be free-living because there are no signs of attachments, however they lack flexibility and a mechanism for propulsion needed to swim. Dendrogramma enigmatical is thought to eat microbes which they catch via a slimy mucus around their mouth.

Unfortunately, it is hard to analyze the genetics due to previous preservation in formalin and ethanol. Despite not having stinging cells like all cnidarians, Dendrogramma enigmatical could be related to comb jellies or even the extinct species Anfesta and Rugoconites. The real question is whether they could be a related to the Ediacarna fauna, which would mean they are the first animals to make it through modern times from about 500-600 million years ago.It is still unknown as to whether the new species will be classified into an existing group, or create their own branch in the tree of life.

Photograph: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/new-species-ofmushroomsshaped-

animal-found-in-sea-off-australia-9710691.html

Fiona is a freshman from Boston, MA who is studying marine science and environmental studies at Eckerd College. In her free time she enjoys videography, figure skating, and ballet. Be sure to follow Fiona on instagram @fiona_brigid_!